Soccer vs Iowa 10.14

Nebraska’s Jordan Zade (red, 37) and Iowa’s Courtney Powell (gray, 18) race to gain possession of the ball during their match at Hibner Stadium on Thursday, Oct. 14, 2021, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska soccer tied Purdue 1-1 in West Lafayette on Thursday night. Despite the low score, it was an ecstatic, high energy showdown.  

The teams’ last matchup took place in Lincoln on Sept. 19 of last year when Purdue came out on top 3-1, so Nebraska hoped for a different outcome this time around. 

Nebraska continued doing its best — attacking on offense and playing aggressively— putting a whopping 21 shots compared to Purdue’s nine. Unfortunately for Nebraska, it was still unable to find the back of the net as often as it would like to. Junior midfielder Raegan Raabe and sophomore midfielder Sarah Weber both had six shots themselves Thursday, continuing to show a strength and willingness to attack the goal. 

Purdue should have taken a 1-0 lead after senior forward Gabby Holler found the back of the net in the 45th minute, but the call was overturned because she was offside, returning it to a scoreless game. Nebraska was hoping this might give them the momentum back and potentially help them capitalize on a shot, but they came up empty.  

It was not until the 73rd minute when Purdue scored the first goal (that counted) of the night. The goal, however, was merely a mistake made by Nebraska goalie, Sami Hauk, who ran out of the goal a few feet. At the same time, Boilermaker sophomore forward Gracie Dunaway ran full speed, blocked Hauk’s kick, and watched the ball roll into the back of the net, giving Purdue its first and only goal of the night.  

On the other end, freshman midfielder Emma Prososki scored Nebraska’s only goal of the night, assisted by sophomore midfielder Haley Peterson. This happened to be Prososki’s first goal of her collegiate career. It was an impressive shot from about 25 yards out, just going over the head of Purdue goalkeeper Kailey Kimball, making it a 1-1 game with a little over 15 minutes remaining.  

While the low scoring would not do it justice, the game was played at an equally aggressive pace between both teams, so a draw seemed fitting. Nebraska junior forward Eleanor Dale got a yellow card and ended up being ejected from the game after angrily kicking the ball away from a referee for disagreeing with a call made on the field. This took place in the 85th minute of the game. Although there were still five minutes left in the game, this felt like an ending point for the Huskers. All their energy and motivation to win the game was gone just like that. 

Nebraska continued to play stringent defense and looked like the dominant side for much of  the game. The Huskers held Purdue to only two shots on goal the entire game, while Nebraska had five.  

Thursday night’s outcome brought Nebraska to an even 4-4-4 record and a solid 2-1-1 record in Big Ten conference play. The Huskers will finish up their road trip when they take on Indiana in Bloomington on Sunday at noon.