s-huskerweekendrecap

For Week Sept. 21-25

Men’s Golf

The Nebraska men's golf team finished tenth in the 19-team pool at the William H. Tucker Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico over the weekend. The Huskers shot a three-round split of 294-297-290 for a total of 881.

Senior Will Marshall was the biggest contributor for the Huskers as he tied for 23rd overall with scores of 73-70-75 in three rounds. This was Marshall’s third top-25 performance of his career. He finished tied for 16th in Nebraska’s opening tournament last week, scoring 74 and 68 for a total of 142.

Nebraska had three golfers tie for 45th overall; freshman Quinn Yost, sophomore Harry Crockett, and junior Jeremy Sisson each scored 222 in the tournament. Yost finished with a three-round score of 74-78-70, Crockett scored 75-76-71, and Sisson shot 74-74-74.

Junior Gentry Scheve made his first appearance of the season in this tournament. Scheve tied for 91st place, posting a score of 73-77-81 for a total of 231. Scheve appeared in place of junior Reed Malleck who posted scores of 79-73 for a total of 152 in the Badger Invitational the prior week.

San Diego State won with the overall title in Albuquerque, shooting an impressive 279-280-289 for a total of 848. They finished eight strokes ahead of host second-place New Mexico who finished second.

Nebraska will be back in action on Oct. 10 for a two-day tournament at the Purdue Fall Invitational in West Lafayette, Indiana.

Women’s Golf

The Nebraska women’s golf team won the Badger Invitational in Wisconsin over 12 other teams on a stormy Tuesday.As a team, Nebraska scored 292-283-288 across the three-day invitational for a total score of 863, defeating both second place teams — Notre Dame and Old Dominion — by 11 strokes.

The Huskers claimed the championship thanks to the efforts of freshman Kelli Ann Strand, who shot a 77-69-67 in the tournament. Strand didn’t start the tournament at her best, scoring a 77 in the first round. However, she reversed course by scoring 69 and 67 in the final two rounds to finish tied for fourth.

Sophomore Miu Takahashi had a bounce-back performance, finishing top ten after tying for 35th in the previous tournament. This time, the sophomore shot 73-70-72 for a total of 215, finishing in eighth.

Senior Megan Whittaker finished tied for 19th, even after scoring an 80 in the final round. Whittaker scored 71-69-80 for a total of 220. Juniors Lindsey Thiele and Michaela Vavrova both finished outside of the top 30, placing tied for 31st and tied for 34th, respectively. Thiele shot a 73-75-75 and Vavrova shot a 75-75-74 at the invitational.

Nebraska won the Badger Invitational coming off of a second-place finish last week at the Green Wave Classic in New Orleans. As a result, they’ve entered the Women’s Golf Coaches Association national rankings at No. 20. The last time Nebraska opened a season with a pair of top-two team finishes came in 2008-09. The Huskers have never opened a season with three straight top-two finishes. They will look to make history for their team at the Big O Classic at the Oak Hills Country Club in Omaha, Nebraska on Oct. 3-4. 

Swim and Dive 

Nebraska swim and dive competed in its annual Scarlet vs. Cream Intrasquad meet on Sept. 21. The Cream team took down the Scarlet team in a tight 91-89 win. 

Leading the way for the Cream were senior Shannon Stott and junior Lexi Kucera, who each collected an individual title and runner-up finishes while also contributing to a relay win. 

Stott’s individual title came in the 100-meter butterfly, while Kucera’s came in the 50-meter freestyle for the Cream. The relay win for Stott and Kucera was in the 200-meter medley relay where they were joined by senior Madesyn Ronquillio and sophomore Sydney McCracken.

Ronquillio also added a 100-meter backstroke win to her day, while McCracken had two runner-up finishes in the meet — placing second in the 200-meter individual medley and the 100-meter breaststroke. 

Another big performance came from senior Berkeley Livingston who won the 200-meter individual medley and placed third in the 100-meter butterfly for the Scarlet. Sophomore Maia Hall also had two individual medal finishes, an individual title along with a third-place finish. Hall’s title came in the 100-meter breaststroke, while her third place came in the 200-meter individual medley.

The intrasquad meet did see a pair of freshmen pull in victories too. Freshman Gena Jorgenson had a massive debut, notching individual titles in the 200-meter and 400-meter freestyle events. She also joined senior Emily Haimes, sophomore JoJo Randby and junior Sarah Barton in winning the 200-meter freestyle relay for the Scarlet. 

The other freshman with an individual title was Giulia Marchi, who took the 100-meter freestyle title. Marchi also added a third-place finish in the 50-meter freestyle. 

In the diving well, junior Reagan Hinze came out on top and freshman Ellee Delcamp took second.

The Huskers are set to start their regular season on Oct. 7 when they take on South Dakota State.