Perlman

After his final year as Chancellor of the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Harvey Perlman said he hopes faculty, staff and students will allow him to “fade, quietly and without fanfare, back to the (UNL) law school.”

While Perlman has yet to confirm his plans after he steps down as chancellor at the end of the 2015-16 school year, several options – attractive ones – await him.

The severance arrangements of Perlman’s 2001 contract guarantee that, upon leaving his position as Chancellor, Perlman will be entitled to return to his full-time tenured faculty appointment in the College of Law, where he spent seven years teaching and 15 years as dean prior to taking over as Chancellor on April 1, 2001.

Should he return, Perlman is guaranteed an annual salary that’s at least equal to the highest-paid law faculty member to be paid from a UNL budget source that’s outside of College of Law’s budget. In 2014-15, the highest-paid law professor, Robert Denicola, made more than $245,000.

Because he held his position for more than five years, Perlman is also guaranteed a paid leave of absence of either six months at his current salary of nearly $350,000 and standard university benefits or a full year with one-half of his current Chancellor’s salary and standard university benefits.

This paid leave of absence doesn’t include a $12,000 yearly housing allowance paid by the university nor the supplemental yearly housing allowance of $13,200 paid by the University of Nebraska Foundation.

Other perks of Perlman’s contract included the services of a housekeeper hired by the university, a quarterly retirement allowance of $1,500, an annual expense allowance of $5,000 paid by the University of Nebraska Foundation and a vehicle – as well as fuel, maintenance and insurance paid by the university. These benefits also won’t be included in Perlman’s paid leave of absence.

“The purpose of such leave of absence will be for your professional development and preparation for return to teaching in the College of Law,” the contract states. “Such leave up of absence will have no pay-back requirements and is not conditioned in any manner upon the circumstances of your departure from office.”

Should Perlman decide to retire or take another position, he won’t be entitled to the paid leave of absence.

After he steps down, Perlman will also be provided with a one-half, full-time equivalency secretary for one year. He will also be entitled to the purchase of two sets of season tickets for football, basketball and volleyball each year without requirement of any donation.

NEWS@DAILYNEBRASKAN.COM