n-cehsupdates

Henzlik Hall of the College of Education and Human Sciences is pictured at 1430 Vine St. on Thursday, Sept. 29, 2022, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

It’s an exciting time to be an undergrad in the University of Nebraska Lincoln’s College of Education and Human Sciences, with physical improvements on the way for existing facilities, new facilities having opened in recent years and current plans to expand offerings for student experiences, Dean Sherri Jones said.

For Jones, experiential learning is core to the mission of the college.

“Because our college is all about impacting the human condition, it’s important that we’re working with people, so we try to do that from day one,” Jones said.

The CEHS has several projects underway that expand the opportunities of students to get hands-on learning. The newly opened Scarlet Hotel, for example, now houses UNL’s Hospitality, Restaurant and Tourism Management program, giving students the opportunity to be hands-on in a real, working hotel full of amenities.

Renovations to the Barkley Memorial Center, which began in October 2020, will turn the Barkley Speech Language and Hearing Clinic into a state-of-the-art facility for CEHS students. The $10 million space will feature a number of clinical treatment and diagnostic rooms for speech, language and audiology students, with specialized rooms in areas like motor speech and augmentative and alternative communication.

The ribbon was cut Thursday on the new Carolyn Pope Edwards Hall, which now houses most of the CEHS programs in a four-story, 126,590-square-foot space. 

In addition to housing the CEHS Dean’s office, the new building is also home to the Department of Child, Youth and Family Studies, the Department of Teaching, Learning and Teacher Education, lab space for the Department of Nutrition and Health Sciences and the Nebraska Center for Research on Children, Youth, Families and Schools.

Despite all of the exciting additions to the college itself, Jones said she was more excited about the work that could be done outside the college. Next year, the department plans to develop a new set of core classes for all health students.

While Jones is excited for the future of the college, she’s very happy with what students have accomplished during her time there so far.

“I am very proud. Very, very proud,” Jones said.