The Nebraska Union

The Nebraska Union on 1400 R St. on Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Students can have fun and relax at the Union Takeover hosted by the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s Campus NightLife on Thursday, Oct. 24, from 8-11 p.m. on the second floor of the Nebraska Union.

The event will include laser tag, mini-glow golf and old-school arcade games, and is free for students with an NCard, according to Reshell Ray, the associate director of East Campus programs. There will also be a photo station and craft area.

Campus NightLife hosted a similar event several years ago, but it has not brought the Union Takeover back since then. The last time they held the event, around 700 students attended, according to Ray. 

They started planning the event last spring, Ray said, and wanted to put on an event that was a little bit different and was held inside to avoid the weather. 

“We wanted to do something that was inside the union and get students into the unions and utilizing the facilities,” Ray said. “And a great way to do that is by doing high energy active events in the building.”

For students who are not interested in high energy activities, there’s also a craft area, where students have the chance to interact with their peers and relax, according to Ray. 

The event is an opportunity for students to hang out with the friends they have already met on campus or meet new people, Ray said. 

“If students have not yet found a group [of friends] or just want to come to an event where they come and meet people, this is an opportunity for them to do just that,” Ray said. “I know we just got off fall break, so people have relaxed and as they get back into the routine of things it is nice to have an evening of a little downtime.”