INDIANAPOLIS - Bob Knight's temper finally did him in.Knight was fired on Sunday for a "pattern of unacceptable behavior" at Indiana, ending three tumultuous decades at a school where he was one of basketball's best coaches but also one of its most volatile.Indiana University President Myles Brand, who announced the firing at a news conference, called Knight "defiant and hostile" and said the coach had shown a "continued unwillingness" to work within the guidelines of the athletic department.Knight also violated the school's "zero-tolerance" policy by grabbing a freshman by the arm last week to lecture him about manners after the student said, "Hey, what's up, Knight?"The coach, famous for his red Hoosiers sweater and blue language that he bellowed at players from the sideline, was already in trouble for a history of outbursts at Indiana, where he won three national championships.The 59-year-old Hall of Fame coach was warned in May about his behavior after an investigation into accusations he choked one of his players during practice in 1997, an act caught on videotape.But his conduct became even worse, Brand said, and he had been disrespectful to alumni and failed to show up at certain community events.Brand stressed that Knight's run-in with 19-year-old Kent Harvey on Thursday was not the only reason for the coach's dismissal."If that was the only instance that took place you would not be here today," Brand told reporters.Knight held a news conference on Friday to explain his side of the story, complete with a diagram on a blackboard and re-enactment of the encounter with Assistant Coach Mike Davis.Harvey, stepson of a Knight critic and former local talk radio show host, had addressed the coach by his last name as they crossed paths at Assembly Hall, a greeting Knight deemed disrespectful.The coach said he did not curse at Harvey but did briefly hold his arm and lecture him about manners."I would have to be an absolute moron - an absolute moron - with the things that have been laid on me to grab a kid in public, or curse at a kid in public, as apparently it's been said that I did," Knight said at the time.The search for a new coach will begin immediately, Brand said.