A University of Nebraska-Lincoln employee was arrested andcharged Wednesday with felony generation of child pornography andis in the process of being fired, university officials saidThursday.

UNL police arrested David Briggs, a 44-year-old financialoperations specialist who worked in the Nebraska Union, earlyWednesday morning, said University Police Capt. Carl Oestmann.

A two-week investigation revealed images involving children onBriggs' UNL-owned computer, Oestmann said.

Briggs, who was the head accountant for the Nebraska Union,began working for UNL on a temporary basis in April 2002. He becamea full-time employee in August 2002.

Most of Briggs' work for UNL involved the use of acomputer, said University Spokesman David Fitzgibbon.

Police initially began investigating Briggs for a violation ofuniversity computer use policy, which bans using computers todownload obscene material and break the law, as in the case ofchild pornography.

"As we were investigating this concern we received, (werealized) it wasn't just pornography, it was dealing withchild pornography," Oestmann said.

Fitzgibbon said the university was in the process of terminatingBriggs' appointment.

"Typically, if this sort of thing happens, it does resultin termination," he said.

Calls to Briggs' listed phone number were not immediatelyreturned Thursday night.

Briggs was transported to the Lancaster County CorrectionalFacility and appeared before court Wednesday afternoon. Apreliminary hearing was scheduled for Sept. 9.

Briggs' bond was set at 10 percent of $10,000 under thecondition of no contact with anyone under 16.