MANHATTAN, Kan. - As far as goalpost demolitions go, the assault on the north end zone apparatus at KSU Stadium Saturday night won't take its place among the more inspired celebrations of college football lore.Purple-clad Kansas State fans screamed and danced for a bit following the No. 16 Wildcats' 29-28 upset of No. 4 Nebraska. They rocked on one side, eventually tearing it down, before basically calming down and filing out - pretty weak stuff.It was just as well, as the game that preceded it - a KSU win that all but assured it a spot in the Big 12 championship game - was a poor man's version of a classic football game, complete with a field slicked by sleet and snow and sloppy play to match.And yet, despite bearing no resemblance to the vibrant, emotional K-State victory here two years prior, Saturday's game once again whittled itself down to one final Husker drive to determine the winner. NU started at its own 22. Two minutes and 52 seconds remained.And the winds of weather were frowning on the Cornhuskers' chances. A wet snow had just begun to blanket the field after KSU's Jonathan Beasley hit wide receiver Quincy Morgan with a go-ahead, 12-yard touchdown pass a minute earlier.During the failed 2-point conversion and ensuing television timeout, Wagner Field moved into winter-wonderland stage. The record 53,811 people at KSU Stadium rattled their pompoms. The field had a layer of slush on top."It was tough in terms of footing," said Coach Frank Solich, who lost his fifth Big 12 road game. "There was a fair amount of slipping.""I couldn't even run out on the field at the end without almost losing my footing," I-back Dan Alexander said.Likely unable to execute several of its option plays because of the slippery surface, NU's final drive ended as many did during the course of the game - in futility.After quarterback Eric Crouch completed his second pass of the game to tight end Tracey Wistrom to advance the ball to the Nebraska 38, the Huskers' hopes died on the next four plays, as two rushes gained four yards and two Crouch passes fell to the slush incomplete.So ended a game that also doused any hopes NU had contending for the national championship. Dropping to 8-2 overall and 5-2 in the Big 12, Nebraska also forfeited its shot at the Big 12 title. It now needs Kansas State (8-2, 5-2) to lose to Missouri next week to have any shot at playing in Kansas City, Mo."There were way too many mistakes to play a really good football game," Solich said. "You can't hurt yourself."Nebraska did so in spades for nearly three quarters, watching an early 14-7 lead, gained off a blocked punt touchdown return by Keyuo Craver and a short touchdown drive aided by penalties, dissipate with each thwarted offensive possession.Over the second and third quarters, NU gained 54 total yards. It had seven consecutive drives end without a first down, two of which ended in turnovers, another in a missed Josh Brown 28-yard field goal that could've provided the margin of victory.Crouch was ground to a halt, amassing only 81 total yards for the contest and completing only 2 of 13 passes."They were slanting a little bit," Crouch said of the K-State defensive line. "Football is kind of a guessing game. K-State guessed right."Of his passing, Crouch said: "(KSU defenders) were in the right spot at the right times, and all those deep balls are low percentage passes."Meanwhile, KSU's offense, and especially wide receiver Morgan, who finished with seven receptions for 199 yards and two touchdowns, heated up.The turning point seemed to arrive in the second quarter on a third-and-24 from Wildcats' 2 when Beasley found Morgan upfield for a 35-yard gain. K-State cut the lead to 14-10 on that drive, then took the lead 17-14 when Morgan took a Beasley screen pass at midfield and dashed 49 yards to the end zone near the close of the first half."Morgan's the best I've faced," said cornerback Craver. "He made all the plays, man."The Wildcats were armed with several chances in the third quarter to extend their 17-14 lead, but only managed two Jamie Rheem field goals. KSU Coach Bill Snyder's conservative, rushing game plan gave way to a bombs ahoy passing fancy, none of which Beasley, who connected on only 12 of 36 passes, completed to his striding receivers. Aaron Lockett's punt return for a touchdown was called back, and a field goal fake ended in a fumble. Yet, considering NU's absent offense, K-State looked comfortable with 2:06 remaining in the third quarter.Then, as inexplicably bad as Nebraska had been, it got inexplicably good.After I-back Correll Buckhalter pounded out five yards on a fourth-and-1 from the KSU 44, the Huskers rolled gaining four, six, 10 and 19 yards on consecutive plays, the last of which ended in an Alexander touchdown. NU cut the lead to 23-21Then Nebraska did it again - all Alexander, all seven plays, all 74 yards, ending with a 45-yard jog to the end zone on a toss right. Nebraska now led 28-23. K-State, over the course of six minutes, didn't know what hit it."We just got back to basics," Alexander said, noting that "we tried some stuff in the second and third quarters, and it didn't work."Said Solich of the turnaround: "I wish I had a good explanation for it. At times, we showed flashes where we could really move the ball, and at times, we didn't."Nebraska guard Russ Hochstein didn't question Solich's play calling that preceded those two drives - the coach called several deep pass patterns - but did say "as an offensive lineman, I love it when we run the ball."Both teams traded punts on ensuing drives, until Kansas State got what looked like its final shot - 62 yards away, with 6:06 remaining. In a drive that would give the Wildcats the victory over its highest-ranked opponent in history, the key play was the first one, Defensive Coordinator Craig Bohl said.Fullback Rock Cartwright took a draw handoff from Beasley, and was immediately met by NU middle linebacker Carlos Polk."I got through clean," Polk said. "It should have been an easy tackle."But Cartwright wriggled away, then broke two more tackles en route to a 13 yard run that put K-State on the Husker side of the field."That turned the field over for them," Bohl said. "When that occurred, the game changed. They were in four down territory; their play selection grew."After a NU holding penalty - one of 11 called against the Huskers - Beasley barreled 15 yards on a quarterback draw to the Huskers' 24, then another 9 yards two plays later to the NU 9. Running back Josh Scobey hit the line for 2 yards on first and goal.Then, after a false start penalty against the Wildcats - one of 13 called against them - Beasley found Morgan wide open on a short crossing route, and the senior All-American walked into the end zone."Don't know who had him on that play," Craver said.It was a play that K-State's Beasley had overlooked on a previous drive when he had Morgan open for a touchdown. But the maligned senior - who had a miserable 3-for-19 showing in Lincoln one year before - walked off a hero despite completing just 12 of 36 passes."I was really proud of Jonathan," Snyder said. "He's the guy who's lived with all the criticism throughout a year's period of time."Nebraska's answer ended when Davison had the fourth-down pass jarred loose by cornerback Dyshod Carter. A few K-State players slid across the field like sleds, while another performed a snow angel.Nebraska players walked off, besieged by surging Wildcat fans. It was a bitter pill to swallow, especially for the offense, which was at one time considered one of the best in NU history. After 239 total yards, it'd be hard to claim that now."Sometimes," Crouch said, "you can't explain certain things."