Sheldon

Sheldon Museum of Art

The Sheldon houses more than 12,000 works of art in various media – including 19th Century landscape and still life, American Impressionism, early Modernism, geometric abstraction, Abstract Expressionism, pop, minimalism and contemporary art – from the Sheldon Art Association collection as well as the University of Nebraska collection. The curatorial staff organizes approximately 20 exhibitions per year, most of which focus on American art in all media. The museum also organizes educational programs – symposia, lectures, children’s workshops and tours – in conjunction with each exhibition.

• Location: 12th and R streets
  • Hours: Tuesday 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Wednesday through Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday noon to 5 p.m.
  • Cost: free

Medici Gallery

The Medici Gallery, located on the first floor of Richards Hall, functions as an exhibition laboratory and is entirely run by students. Typically featuring experimental and improvisational shows that are exhibited for a short time, the gallery provides a venue for student artists to easily show their work in both individual and group exhibitions.

• Location: Richards Hall, Stadium Drive and T Street
  • Hours: Weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Cost: Free

Eisentrager-Howard Gallery

Also located on the first floor of Richards Hall, the Eisentrager-Howard gallery provides a space for University of Nebraska- Lincoln students and faculty to present their work in MFA thesis exhibitions, undergraduate capstone exhibitions and more. The gallery also hosts an undergraduate juried art competition and a biennial faculty exhibition, as well as alumni exhibitions every summer.

• Hours: Weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
  • Cost: Free

Mary Riepma Ross Media Arts Center

Ross

The Ross, located on 13th Street near the Lied Center for Performing Arts, is the place to go for independent, experimental and foreign films. The selection changes regularly, with new movies every week or two, and tickets are $5 for UNL students.

• Location: 13th and Q streets
  • Evening prices: $9.50 for adults; $7 for students and children; $7.50 for military and seniors; and $6.50 for members
  • Matinée prices: $7.50 for adults; $6.50 for students, children and military; $7 for seniors; and $6 for members.
  • Check out theross.org for show times, listings and upcoming movies.

University of Nebraska State Museum

Located in Morrill Hall – look for the giant mammoth statue; you can’t miss it – the University of Nebraska State Museum is free for students with an NCard (or $4 for planetarium shows). Exhibits are designed to teach about the world’s past, present and future.

• Location: Morrill Hall, just south of 14th and Vine streets
  • Hours: Monday through Saturday 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (open until 8 p.m. on Thursdays), Sunday 1:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Cost: $6 for adults 19 and older (plus $4 for planetarium shows), $3 for children 5 to 18 years old (plus $3 for planetarium shows) and free for those 4 and younger (children 3 and under are not admitted to the planetarium). A family pass for up to two adults and children or grandchildren 18 and under is $13 (plus $4 per adult and $3 per child for planetarium shows).

Lied Center for Performing Arts

The Lied Center on the southwest edge of campus attracts big-name artists and performances at a discounted rate to students. The Lied’s 2016-17 season features country star Clint Black, political satire group The Capitol Steps, blues legend Buddy Guy and Broadway, film and TV star Idina Menzel. It also hosts public events such as the E.N. Thompson Forum on World Issues, a cooperative project of the Lied Center, UNL and the Cooper Foundation established in 1988 with the purpose of promoting understanding and encouraging debate by bringing a diversity of viewpoints on international and public policy issues to the university and people of Nebraska. The 2016-17 series of the forum will welcome three acclaimed journalists and authors to speak on the theme of "crossing borders." Find ticket and event information at liedcenter.org, or simply visit the box office.

• Location: 12th and R streets
  • Ticket Office Hours: 11 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
  • For event schedule and ticket information, visit liedcenter.org/events

Larsen Tractor Test & Power Museum 

Larsen Museum

Located in the original building of the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab, the first tractor test lab in the world, the Larsen Museum is supported entirely through donations. Visitors can begin at the museum to learn the history and view the collection of antique and unusual tractors, then tour the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab, the only test lab in the western hemisphere to certify tractor performance. 

• Location: 40.831969, -96.668722 (GPS coordinates)
  • Hours: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on the first Saturday of each month

The International Quilt Study Center and Museum

Located near the University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s East Campus, the quilt museum houses the largest public collection of quilts in the world. And these are not just the kind of quilts you’ve probably seen at your grandparents’ house. The museum – founded in 1997 after Nebraska natives Ardis and Robert James donated their collection of almost 1,000 quilts and an endowment to the University of Nebraska- Lincoln – displays quilts old and new from around the world.

This article has been updated to correct errors related to the Larsen Tractor Test & Power Museum: The museum itself, while located near the Nebraska Tractor Test Lab, is not itself the U.S.'s officially designated tractor testing station. The museum is the Larsen museum, not the Larson museum, and the original photograph that accompanied the article showed a 1910 Autowagon, which is no longer in the museum's collection.