WBB Creighton

Nebraska women’s basketball continued to struggle with its fourth loss in five games, as the Huskers fell 74-65 to in-state rival Creighton on Sunday.

There was also a sibling rivalry at play in the game, as Nebraska sophomore forward Taylor Kissinger matched up with her older sister, Creighton senior guard Brooke Kissinger.

The game started off slow, as both teams combined for only seven field goals in the first quarter. Four free throws helped Creighton take a 10-8 lead going into the second quarter.

Offensive output picked up on both ends in the second quarter. Four minutes into the quarter the game was still tight, as Creighton extended its lead to 18-14. After that, Nebraska came alive, scoring 12 of the next 15 points to take a 26-21 lead with just under two minutes to go in the half.

However, the Bluejays did not let this run deter them, as they cut Nebraska’s advantage to 28-27 at halftime.

Both teams struggled offensively in the first half. Creighton shot 33.3 percent from the field, and only made one of its 11 shots from beyond the arc. It wasn’t much better for the Huskers, as they only shot 38.7 percent and did not make a single three-pointer.

Coming out of the half, Creighton began to take control. After Nebraska sophomore center Kate Cain made a mid-range jumper to start the quarter, Creighton went on a 13-0 run to take a 40-30 lead. At the end of the quarter, Nebraska freshman guard Sam Haiby made the first Nebraska three-pointer of the game on a buzzer beater to cut the Creighton lead down to eight.

Nebraska fought hard to get back into this game late, even cutting down the deficit to five points at one point, but Creighton just seemed to have an answer for every scoring push. An 11-point quarter from Creighton junior guard Olivia Elger eventually helped the Bluejays hold on and win.

Offensively, the Huskers struggled from start to finish. Nebraska shot 35.5 percent from the field and 9.1 percent from the three-point line to score 65 points, all season-lows.

Haiby and Cain were the lone bright spots statistically, as Haiby put up 17 points and five rebounds, while Cain had 12 points on 6-8 shooting and added four rebounds.

For Creighton, Elger, sophomore guard Tatum Rembao and senior forward Audrey Faber shined. Faber and Rembao led the game in scoring with 18 points apiece, with Faber adding 10 rebounds and three blocks while Rembao shot 7-10, had six assists and three steals.

Creighton improved greatly on its shaky first half, shooting 55.6 percent from the field and 40 percent from the three-point line in the second half to bring its totals up to 44.4 percent and 23.8 percent, respectively.

Nebraska is now 0-4 in true road games, as the only win of its five-game road trip came against Radford at a neutral site.

The 2-5 Huskers will look to stop their skid next game, as they return home for the first time in nearly a month to face off against Kansas on Wednesday night.