Power rankings

1. Ohio State (1-1, 0-0)

You’re probably wondering how a .500 team and the only Big Ten Conference team with a loss checks in at the number one spot on this list. It’s simple. The fifth-ranked Buckeyes blew out No.10 Stanford 85-64, and their loss came at the hands of No. 9 Louisville. So their resume, even with a loss on it, is better than the other teams in the conference. They’re the only team who faced a ranked opponent, let alone two, this season.

2. Maryland (1-0, 0-0)

After Ohio State we’ll drop to the top-ranked teams in the conference. Maryland checks in at No. 15 in the nation, so it will get the second spot on this list. The lady Terrapins slaughtered Albany 91-58 as they should have so they’ll easily claim this spot.

3. Michigan (2-0, 0-0)

The Wolverines came in at No. 24 in the first polls of the year and with solid wins over George Mason University and Liberty, they smoothly check in at No. 3 in these power rankings. They’ll face No. 6 Notre Dame on Nov. 29, with either a chance to shoot up this list, or see their status take a hit.

4. Michigan State (1-0, 0-0)

One of three unranked Big Ten teams to receive votes in the first poll, the lady Spartans easily handled Robert Morris University in their season opener, a more convincing win than those of the next two teams on this list who received votes.

5. Indiana (1-0, 0-0)

Indiana’s victory in its season opener was a 93-51 victory over Arkansas State. The Hoosiers will get a chance to shoot up the list after they get their own crack at No. 9 Louisville on Nov. 30 at home.

6. Purdue (1-0, 0-0)

The lady Boilermakers are also 1-0 in this young season with a slim victory over Central Michigan. They received four votes coming into the season but did not have their most impressive showing in their first game. At the moment, Purdue only has three currently-ranked opponents on its schedule, all of which come in the season’s last eight games, so it will be tough for them to climb this list.

7. Iowa (2-0, 0-0)

The Hawkeyes are just one of the three teams in the Big Ten with two wins already, but both have been less than thrilling victories against subpar opponents, so they check in at the seventh spot on the list.

8. Penn State (2-0, 0-0)

The Nittany Lions, also with two wins, did not look particularly convincing in their victories either. Their 14-point victories over Drexel and Siena aren’t exactly propelling them toward the top of this list anytime soon.

9. Minnesota (1-0, 0-0)

The Gophers lead the conference in points-per-game by scoring 107 in their win over Lehigh. With an offense as potent as that, they could start climbing this list rapidly as the season goes on if they can keep it up.

10. Northwestern (1-0, 0-0)

Northwestern takes the last spot on this list with stellar defense in its season opener against Chicago State. The Wildcats surrendered just 36 points over the whole game, stifling the Cougars holding them to 11, 7, 11, 7 in the four quarters respectively. That defense could help them climb this list later in the season.