s-redwhitebsb

Paul Tillotson (20) pitches the ball during the third Red and White scrimmage on Oct. 26, 2018, at Hawks Field in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The White squad won the Nebraska Baseball Red-White series with an 11-9 win in a six-inning game on Friday, Oct. 26 to cap off a three-game scrimmage between the team.

The first two games of the series took place on Friday, Oct. 6 and Saturday, Oct. 7. Only six runs crossed the plate in the first two games combined, which the teams split. The Red team won 2-1 on Friday in game one, while the White team won 3-0 the following day.

Friday was a different story as the scoring happened early and often.

The Red team took an early lead in the bottom of the first inning on a solo home run from sophomore Aaron Palensky, who transferred into the program from Southeast Community College over the offseason.

The White team responded immediately, scoring seven runs in the top of the second inning to take a 7-1 lead. Sophomore Mike Addante hit a home run, and a series of hits from junior Ben Klenke and freshmen Brett Hammitt and Shay Schanaman helped the team to its big inning.

However, the pitching did not hold up for the White team, who surrendered six runs in the bottom of the third inning, tying the game at 7-7. The Red team had five hits in the inning, but still managed to tie the game up.

The Red team regained its advantage in the bottom half of the fourth inning. Freshman Spencer Schwellenbach hit a solo home run to lead off the frame, good for his second home run of the series.

That homer marked the last time the Red team led all game.

The White team scored four runs in the top of the fifth to regain the lead at 11-7. Extra-base hits from Husker sophomores led to runs, including a triple from Keegan Watson, who led off the inning, and a double from Zac Luckey. In addition, junior Ben Klenke singled in the inning.

In the sixth and final inning of the game, Nebraska worked on situational hitting. Both teams started with runners on first and second base with no outs, and only three hitters batted. The White team didn’t score in the frame, while the Red team scored once to push the game to an 11-8 White squad win.

Friday’s game marks the end of the fall season for Nebraska. The team returns to action in the spring, when the Huskers open their season on the road against the University of California-Riverside on Feb. 15.