Elena Flake Husker Rifle team

Elena Flake looks up during the first home match of the season against West Virginia at the Nebraska Rifle Range on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Women’s Tennis

Sophomore Jessica Aragon and senior Claire Reifeis participated in the 2019 Saint Francis Health System Women’s ITA All-American Championships in Tulsa, Oklahoma, last week. In singles play, there was a pre-qualifying draw that Aragon was placed in. The winners of that pre-qualifying draw were placed into a qualifying draw, which Reifeis started in, and from there, advanced to the main tournament.

Aragon played Boise State junior Lilian Poling in the first round of the pre-qualifying draw. After winning the first set 7-5, Aragon lost to Poling 6-4. This resulted in a third set, where Poling beat Aragon 6-1, ending the tournament for the Husker sophomore.

Reifeis, starting in the qualifying draw, lost her first set to Tennessee sophomore Kaitlin Staines 6-1. Threatened with elimination, Reifeis came back in the second set to beat Staines 6-1. This set up a close final set, which Reifeis ultimately won 6-4. In the second round, Reifeis played Mississippi sophomore Sabina Macholova, who beat UCF freshman Marie Mattel in the first round. Reifeis was beaten in two sets, losing the first 6-3, then the second 6-2. This eliminated Reifeis from the tournament.

The next tournament in the women’s tennis season is the Waco ITF tournament in Texas that starts on Sunday and runs until the day after.

Swim and dive

The Nebraska swim and dive team started its weekend in South Dakota with a win in the opening 400-yard medley relay. The team of junior Autumn Haebig and seniors Gwen Worlton, Tori Beeler and Savannah Savitt won with a time of 3:54.99. 

Freshman Berkeley Livingston got her first collegiate win in the 1,000-yard freestyle with a time of 10:31.54. In another freestyle event, junior Allison Kopas earned first place with a time of 1:57.36 in the 200-yard freestyle.

In the 200-yard IM, Savitt finished in second place with a time of 2:12.50, barely getting out-touched for first. 

For diving, sophomore Sara Troyer finished first, and two more Husker divers, junior Grace Tiernon in second and sophomore Hallie Roman in third, rounded out the top three. Troyer won the three-meter diving event as well, with Tiernon and Roman switching places from the one meter. 

Winning the meet with a score of 154.5 to South Dakota’s 88.5, the Huskers headed to Northern Iowa for their next meet. 

To start off the meet, the Huskers placed second in the 200-yard medley relay with a time of 1:46.55 thanks to strong performances from Gonzales, Worlton, Murray and Kopas. In the 200-yard freestyle relay, the Huskers were able to end the meet with a first-place finish from Haebig, Gonzales, Savitt and Beeler. They finished with a time of 1:38.40. 

With a win in the one-meter diving event and the three-meter diving competition, Troyer ended her weekend on a high note with a first-place finish in all four of her events. 

Finishing the weekend with another win of 143-100 over Northern Iowa, the Huskers are now 2-0 to start the regular season. 

The Huskers return to the Bob Devaney Sports Center Natatorium for their first home meet of the season and will face Iowa State on Saturday, Oct. 19, at noon. 

Rifle

Nebraska had its first home rifle match of the season against No. 1 West Virginia. Nebraska lost to the Mountaineers 4,719-4,642 in the Mountaineers’ first match of the season. This was also Nebraska’s first loss to a Great America Rifle Conference (GARC) opponent, leaving the Huskers 0-1 in the GARC.

West Virginia won smallbore with ease, 2,343-2,291. The top smallbore scorer for Nebraska, sophomore Elena Flake, had two more points than the lowest scorer for West Virginia. Flake had 578 points, while four Mountaineers finished above her in the dominant win.

Flake continued her impressive home debut with 597 points in air rifle and tied the school record for most points in air rifle. Despite her impressive performance, Nebraska lost 2,376-2,351. West Virginia senior Milica Babic had 598 points, and all five Mountaineers finished above 591 points.

Babic was the best performer in the match with 1,188 points out of a possible 1,200 points. The great performance overshadowed the team’s performance in rifle. No one else for Nebraska had 590 points in air rifle, but sophomore Kinga Aletto came close with 587 points — the second-best score for Nebraska.

Only two Huskers were in the top 10 for overall points scored in the match. Flake came in third with 1,175 points, and senior Samantha Peterson finished 10th with 1160 points.

Nebraska now has a week off before traveling to Colorado Springs the last weekend of October. The team will square off against Kentucky, Air Force and UTEP.