Husker weekend recap

Swim and dive

The Nebraska swim and dive team lost in a close dual meet against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. The Huskers finished the first day of events behind with a score of 88-79 and the meet eventually came down to the last event, ending with a score of 181-172. Nebraska now has a 5-2 dual meet record on the season. 

Sophomore Sara Troyer finished first in the three-meter dive with a score of 316.50, with fellow sophomore Hallie Roman coming in third place with a score of 268.28. Troyer also won and set a career-best in the one-meter dive with a score of 293.55.

In the 200-yard butterfly, junior Madison Coughlen finished first and broke the school record, previously set by junior captain Izzie Murray, with a time of 1:56.39. Coughlen also captured an NCAA B-cut qualifier with that race. Coughlen, along with two others, earned NCAA qualifying times during the meet, meaning they will compete in that event at the NCAA Championship meet in March. Qualifying for A cuts earns an automatic spot while B cuts will have to wait and see. 

In the 500-yard freestyle, senior Autumn Haebig finished in first place with a time of 4:45.35, which was an NCAA B-cut qualifying time. In the 100-yard freestyle, Haebig was again able to finish first with a season-best time of 50.09.

Sophomore Audrey Coffey won the 1,650-yard freestyle, also qualifying for an NCAA B-cut with a time of 16:28.89, her career-best in the event. 

Finishing up the tight meet with the relays senior Gwen Worlton, Haebig, Coughlen and Beeler finished in second place in the 400-yard medley with a time of 3:43.74. In the 400-yard freestyle relay, senior Carla Gonzalez, senior Savannah Savitt, Haebig and Beeler finished in second place with a time of 3:24.15. 

Next, the Big Ten Championship meet begins on Wednesday, Feb. 19, and finishes up Saturday, Feb. 22. 

Rifle

The Nebraska rifle team competed in a Great American Rifle Conference showdown against North Carolina State on Sunday, Feb. 2. 

The Huskers came out with a victory, defeating the Wolfpack 4,685-4,663. The top individual performance of the meet came from sophomore Elena Flake with 1,175 points. Flake was one of four Huskers in the top five individually, the other three being junior Emily Cheramie in second (1,172), freshmen Hana Musser (1,169) and Macey Way (1,169) taking fourth and fifth, respectively. 

Starting things off in smallbore, the Huskers won the event 2,321-2,304. Leading the charge for Nebraska was Cheramie with a score of 584. Behind her was Flake in second with 581 and Musser in third with 580. 

In the air rifle, Flake won the event with a score of 594. Behind her was Way in second with a score of 593 and Musser in fourth with a 589. One of two other Huskers who competed in the meet were senior Bailey Powell who scored 575 in smallbore and 587 in the air rifle, tallying up to 1,162. The other Husker was sophomore Kinga Aletto who scored 565 in the smallbore and 588 in the air rifle, giving her a score of 1,153. 

The team’s next competition is Saturday, Feb. 8 on the road against Akron.

Men’s gymnastics

Despite another solid showing on the road for Nebraska, the Huskers fell just short against Illinois via a final score of 407.050-399.950. Despite this disappointing result, five Huskers boasted career-high scores in their events.

The first rotation began with Nebraska on pommel horse and Illinois on floor with the Huskers putting together a team score of 63.40. Freshman Cooper Giles led the team with a team-best of 13.60. Meanwhile, Illinois posted a season-best score of 70.35 on floor to get out to an early lead over Nebraska.

Junior Griffin Kehler led the Huskers on floor during rotation two with a score of 14.05 as Nebraska put together a team score of 67.70 to trim Illinois’ lead to 135.450-131.100 following the completion of rotation two.

Rotation three saw the Huskers post their best vault score of the season with a 71.05 as sophomore Charlie Giles led the team with a score of 14.75. They edged Illinois as the Illini posted a 68.60 on rings to round out the third rotation.

Freshman Dylan Young posted the Huskers best score on rings as he put up a 13.50 to lead Nebraska. The Huskers compiled a 65.25 team score as Illinois was able to put together a solid score on vault with a 72.15.

Juniors Evan Hymanson and Kehler led Nebraska on high bar with a score of 13.70 as Nebraska entered the final rotation with a hill to climb, trailing Illinois via a score of 342.050-333.150.

The Huskers rounded out the final rotation on parallel bars with a team score of 66.80, with Hymanson leading the way with a score of 13.85. Nebraska ended the competition falling to Illinois 407.050-399.995.

The Huskers will return home to the Bob Devaney Sports Center to take on Army West Point and Minnesota at 4 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 15 as they will look to return to their winning ways.

Track and field

The Nebraska track and field team started off the month of February with a stellar performance at the Adidas Classic. The team finished the meet with 16 event titles and a combined 380 points from both the men’s and women’s teams. 

Freshman Darby Thomas won both the long jump and the 60-meter dash title while freshmen Chris Ramsey and Lorenzo Paissan went one and two in the 60-meter dash as well. Junior Emma Bresser kept the train rolling as she claimed the 600-meter title by .11 seconds. This was then immediately followed by a one-two-three-finish in the men’s race from sophomore Tony Nou, junior Michael Knowles and senior Karson LeComte. 

In the men’s weight throw, sophomore James Joycey claimed the title. Going from the weight throw to the shot put, the Huskers claimed both titles with senior captain Kristina Insingo and junior Burger Lambrechts Jr. The same happened in the triple jump as junior Ieva Turke and freshman Alexander Thompson won their events.

For the men’s 400-meter dash, senior Isaiah Hutchison won the title. In the men’s 800-meter run, freshman Brent Wetovick and senior Jordan De Spong went one and two. Sophomore Deja Ingram and freshman Kayla Hugg also went one and two in the women’s 200-meter dash. This was then topped by the men’s 200-meter dash as the Huskers claimed each spot from first to sixth as Paissan won the race. The Huskers also swept the 3,000-meter run via senior Elsa Forsberg and sophomore Ryan Kennedy. The team then concluded the day with the men’s team winning the 4x400 meter relay. 

Additionally, despite not running at the Adidas Classic, sophomore George Kusche broke the school record for the mile at the Washington Invitational with a time of 3:57.93 on the same day. 

The Huskers’ next meet will wrap up their four-week homestand as they host the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational on Feb. 7 and 8. 

Women’s tennis

The Nebraska women’s tennis team hosted the Air Force Falcons and the Creighton Bluejays in a double-header on Saturday. 

In the first match of the day, the Huskers faced off against the reigning Mountain West champions, the Air Force Falcons. 

In doubles, three matches are played at a time, and the team that gets two of the wins is awarded the doubles point. The Falcons were awarded the point, as the only Huskers to win were the doubles duo of sophomore Jessica Aragon and freshman Chloe Kuckelman, who won 6-3. 

Despite not getting the doubles point, the Huskers still had a chance to win by taking four or more of the singles matches. That’s exactly what they did, winning four singles matches. Freshman Kristina Novak, freshman Ellie Kuckelman, Aragon and Kuckelman all got singles wins for the Huskers, helping the team secure the 4-3 win over Air Force. 

In the second match of the day, the Huskers hosted the rival Creighton Bluejays.  

The Huskers were far more dominant in the second half of the doubleheader, as they swept the Bluejays, winning the doubles point and all three singles points necessary to earn the 4-0 sweep. 

Next up for the women’s tennis team will be its first road match of the season as the Huskers travel to Waco, Texas, to take on former Big 12 foe Baylor on Feb. 8.

Men’s tennis

On Sunday, the Nebraska men’s tennis team hosted the Auburn Tigers at the Dillon Tennis Center. This was the first half of a doubleheader where the Huskers also hosted the UMKC Kangaroos. 

In their matchup against the Tigers, the Huskers lost by a score of 6-1. The Huskers lost the doubles point then claimed a victory in only one of the six singles matches on the day. Sophomore Victor Moreno Lozano won his singles match by defeating Auburn’s Tom Wright 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-7). 

The Huskers continued their doubleheader later in the day and faced off against the UMKC Kangaroos.