s-b1gpowerrankings

The Big Ten went 11-2 this week with a variety of blowouts and close games. Michigan, Minnesota, and Nebraska all went into overtime with NU being the only one not to pull off a win. Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Michigan State flexed their muscles in big wins. 

1. Ohio State Buckeyes (2-0)

Experts thought a good Cincinnati team would give the Buckeyes a run for their money at home. This was not the case, as Ohio State easily won 42-0. Justin Fields was dominant once again, with four total touchdowns. Fields recorded 224 yards and two touchdowns through the air, along with 42 yards rushing with two touchdowns. Junior running back J.K Dobbins torched the Bearcat defense with 141 yards rushing and two touchdowns. The Buckeyes go on the road to play Indiana next week. 

1. Michigan Wolverines (2-0)

The Wolverines faced an Army team that took Oklahoma to the brink of defeat last season and barely survived. Michigan won 24-21 in double overtime but was lucky to even get there. Early in the third quarter, Army quarterback Kelvin Hopkins threw an interception at the Michigan five-yard line, costing Army three points. The Black Knights also could have won right before regulation ended with a 50-yard field goal, but kicker Cole Talley missed his first-ever field goal attempt wide right. Wolverine sophomore defensive lineman Aidan Hutchinson forced Hopkins to fumble and junior Kwity Paye recovered to end Army’s upset attempt in double overtime. Michigan needs to put up a much better performance to have a chance at No. 14 Wisconsin in two weeks.    

1. Wisconsin Badgers (2-0)

For the second straight week, Wisconsin dismantled an opponent. This time it was Central Michigan taking a beating, losing 61-0. Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor was great again with 102 rushing yards and three touchdowns. Junior quarterback Jack Coan played well, throwing three touchdowns with 363 yards. Wisconsin’s defense was also lights out, giving up only 58 yards. The Badgers will look to shut down Michigan in two weeks. 

1. Michigan State Spartans (2-0) 

The Spartans cruised to an easy win over in-state rival Western Michigan. Michigan State won 51-17 behind dominant performances of Brian Lewerke, Elijah Collins and Darrell Stewart. Lewerke threw for 314 yards with three touchdowns and Collins rushed for nearly 200 yards. Stewart caught one of Lewerke’s touchdown passes and finished with 185 yards receiving to lead the way for the Spartans. Michigan State has a PAC-12 showdown with Arizona State next week. 

1. Iowa Hawkeyes (2-0, 1-0 Big Ten)

The Hawkeyes faced an early conference showdown against Rutgers and shut out the Scarlet Knights 30-0. Quarterback Nate Stanley threw for three touchdowns and junior wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette caught two of those touchdowns passes and finished with 113 yards receiving. Iowa faces in-state rival Iowa State next week.

1. Penn State Nittany Lions (2-0)

Penn State struggled early against Buffalo, trailing 10-7 at halftime. Quarterback Sean Clifford responded by throwing three of his four touchdowns in the second half for the Nittany Lions. Penn State also added a two-yard touchdown run by freshman Noah Cain and 37-yard pick-six from senior John Reid to score 28 points in the third quarter and take a commanding 45-13 lead. Penn State takes on Pittsburgh at home next week. 

1. Maryland Terrapins (2-0)

The Terrapins jumped into the AP Top 25 for the first time since 2014 after scoring a ridiculous 142 points in their first two games. Maryland routed then-No. 21 Syracuse 63-20, leading 42-13 at halftime. Junior Josh Jackson threw three touchdowns, and Maryland’s rushing attack was too much for Syracuse. Maryland rushed for 354 yards with four players rushing for a combined six touchdowns. The Terrapins have a road game against Temple next week but can prove they are for real with a win at home against Penn State in two weeks.

1. Nebraska Huskers (1-1)

Nebraska played a great first half against Colorado, leading 17-0 at halftime. They were in control and Colorado looked overmatched, which didn’t hold up as the game progressed. Nebraska still led 17-7 starting the fourth quarter but the game turned into a shootout with 38 points combined in the fourth quarter. It started with a 96-yard flea-flicker touchdown pass by Colorado quarterback Steven Montez, then Nebraska responded right back with an Adrian Martinez 75-yard touchdown pass to Maurice Washington. Colorado tied it again with an eight-yard touchdown catch by Tony Brown and won 34-31 after Husker kicker Isaac Armstrong missed a 49-yard field goal in overtime. The Huskers will look to rebound against Northern Illinois this week at home. 

1. Northwestern Wildcats (0-1)

The Wildcats were off last week and will look to get their first win of the season at home against UNLV.

1. Purdue Boilermakers (1-1)

After being defeated by Nevada to start off the season, the Boilermakers needed a strong showing against Vanderbilt at home. Purdue did this as it beat the Commodores 42-24 behind senior quarterback Elijah Sindelar’s five touchdown passes. Sophomore standout Rondale Moore racked up 220 yards receiving on 13 catches with two touchdowns. Purdue was only up 14-10 at half but pulled away after scoring 28 points in the second half alone. The Boilermakers host TCU on Saturday.