Week 6 Big Ten Power Rankings Art

Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State and Minnesota continued rolling with blowout wins to remain undefeated in this week’s Big Ten action. Michigan showed up against a ranked team, beating Iowa 10-3 in the Big House. Most teams played conference foes with no notable upsets taking place.

1. Ohio State Buckeyes (6-0, 3-0 Big Ten)

The Buckeyes recorded another dominant win over No. 25 Michigan State at home, winning 34-10. Sophomore quarterback Justin Fields scored three total touchdowns, including two in the first half to help Ohio State take a commanding 27-10 halftime lead. Running back J.K Dobbins was electric again with 172 rushing yards and a touchdown. Ohio State continues to rack up easy wins and looks to continue rolling against Northwestern Saturday.

2. Wisconsin Badgers (5-0, 2-0 Big Ten)

The Badgers shut out Kent State for an easy 48-0 win. Junior running back Jonathan Taylor overwhelmed Kent State’s defense, tallying up four rushing touchdowns and a receiving touchdown. Taylor was all Wisconsin needed, as the Badger’s defense held Kent State to 124 total yards. Wisconsin faces Michigan State next.

3. Penn State Nittany Lions (5-0, 2-0 Big Ten)

The Nittany Lions got off to a quick start against Purdue, taking a 21-0 lead after the first quarter, and they never looked back. Junior quarterback Sean Clifford threw two of his three touchdowns in the first quarter and ran one in as well. Penn State’s defense was terrific, holding Purdue to 104 yards in a 35-7 victory. Penn State has not faced great competition yet but faces Iowa in a tough road test Saturday.

4. Michigan Wolverines (4-1, 2-1 Big Ten)

The Wolverines rode their defense to an impressive 10-3 win over Iowa. Michigan scored all its points in the first quarter as running back Zach Charbonnet scored the only touchdown of the game on a two-yard touchdown run. The Wolverine defense forced four turnovers and a critical turnover on downs with 37 seconds left that sealed the victory. This was a victory Michigan desperately needed to prove itself. The Wolverines play Illinois next. 

5. Iowa Hawkeyes (4-1, 1-1 Big Ten)

Mistakes haunted Iowa and the team could not recover from them against Michigan. Quarterback Nate Stanley threw three interceptions and the offense stalled throughout the game. The Hawkeyes had two good chances to tie the game late but failed to take advantage of good field position. Iowa looks to bounce back against Penn State. 

6. Michigan State Spartans (4-2, 2-1 Big Ten)

Michigan State faced a difficult test at Ohio State in primetime and struggled. The offense could only muster up 10 points, and the defense was no match for the Buckeye offense. The Spartans did not score after the second quarter, and the defense gave up 529 total yards. Michigan State could have made a statement win to show it is among the elites but failed. They have another chance to do this at Wisconsin Saturday. 

7. Minnesota Golden Gophers (5-0, 2-0 Big Ten)

Minnesota remains undefeated after a 40-17 win against Illinois. The game was close at halftime with Minnesota holding a 16-10 lead, but the Golden Gophers ran away with it in the second half, outscoring Illinois 24-7. Sophomore quarterback Tanner Morgan led the way with two touchdown passes. Minnesota hosts Nebraska next but will continue being this low in the power rankings until they beat a quality opponent.

8. Maryland Terrapins (3-2, 1-1 Big Ten)

Maryland bounced back with an easy 48-7 win over Rutgers. The Terrapins took a 27-7 lead at halftime behind two touchdown passes from Josh Jackson and never looked back. Maryland’s win was fueled by three long touchdowns, an 80-yard touchdown pass, a 100-yard kickoff return and an 80-yard rushing touchdown. Maryland faces Purdue next on the road.

9. Nebraska Huskers (4-2, 2-1 Big Ten)

It was not a pretty win for the Huskers, but they will take it at this point. The Husker offense was held to only one touchdown during the 13-10 win over Northwestern and struggled to find a rhythm. Things looked dire for Nebraska when sophomore quarterback Adrian Martinez went down late in the third quarter with the score tied at 10. However, backup quarterback Noah Vedral led the final drive to set up a 24-yard field goal for Lane McCallum, who was 1-2 up to this point. He made it, and another close Nebraska-Northwestern game came to an end. The Huskers face Minnesota next and could be without Martinez. 

10. Northwestern Wildcats (1-4, 0-3 Big Ten)

The Wildcats’ offense once again let them down in their 13-10 loss to Nebraska. Quarterback Aiden Smith struggled, throwing for 136 yards with an interception and no passing touchdowns. Northwestern could have taken a lead midway through the fourth quarter despite this, but Charlie Kuhbander missed a 34-yard field goal for the Wildcats. Things don't get easier for Northwestern as Ohio State comes to town for their next matchup in week eight.