Nebraska Football vs. Michigan State Photo No. 4

Maurice Washington leaps over Michigan State's Justin Layne (2) during the game at Memorial Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 17, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska. 

Sophomore running back Maurice Washington was suspended for the first half of Nebraska’s season opener against South Alabama, head coach Scott Frost said after the game.

Washington is scheduled to appear in court on Sept. 3 in Santa Clara County Superior Court. He is currently facing two charges, including one felony, for allegedly sending a video recording in 2016 of a then-15-year-old girl performing oral sex. 

He was not involved in the video, but faces a felony charge of possession of a video of a person under 18 engaging in or simulating sexual conduct. He is also charged with one misdemeanor count of sharing a recording without the person’s consent. 

Washington missed not all, but several practices in the spring and did not play in the spring game. 

“The decision was made Thursday night or Friday morning between coaching staff, administration and campus that Mo Washington would serve a half-game suspension in addition to internal punishment and discipline he already has,” Frost said in his opening statement following Nebraska’s 35-21 win over South Alabama. 

“We won’t consider any additional discipline for him until the matter is completely adjudicated. So, the plan was to sit him in the first half and play him in the second. He’ll play going forward, and I won’t have any other comment about it until it’s adjudicated in California.”

When asked later about how the situation with Washington will play out, Frost added, “I’m not going to add any other comment about it, it doesn’t make any sense for me to add anything on an ongoing legal matter.”

Frost also clarified that the disciplinary decision was made by the administration, campus leaders and coaching staff.

Washington finished the game with six carries for 39 yards, and had one catch for 13 yards.