Madi Kubik, DN Freshman of the Week

Madi Kubik hits the ball during the game between the Nebraska Cornhuskers and the Iowa Hawkeyes at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

There was a lot of action from Nebraska’s freshman class this week. Rifle, volleyball, and wrestling all had freshmen who shone, and it wasn’t an easy choice. However, this week’s DN freshman athlete of the week is volleyball’s outside hitter Madi Kubik. 

Kubik had a dominating week as she led the Huskers in kills in both of the team’s matches during the week. The 6-foot-3 outside hitter grabbed a total of 35 kills and 18 digs in two matches. On Wednesday, Nov. 13, Kubik dropped in 16 kills which helped Nebraska sweep conference foe Michigan State in three sets. On Saturday, Nov. 16, Kubik continued where she left off, with 19 kills to propel the Huskers over Iowa in a five-set win. This was her second-highest number of kills in a match this season behind a 22-kill performance versus Purdue one month ago. She also delivered 16 digs in the win against the Hawkeyes, tying her season high. 

This was Kubik’s best week of the season so far in kills, showing how far she has come since late August. In the month of November, Kubik has a total of 76 kills with four matches left to go before December. In the month of October, Kubik had 82 total kills, showing how she has slowly but surely become a contributing factor. On the season, Kubik has 248 kills, which is a sign of things to come in the last four matches of the regular season. 

The first honorable mention is Kevon Davenport from wrestling. The team competed Sunday, Nov. 17, at the Daktronics Open in Brookings, South Dakota, where Davenport won the 149-pound class with a 4-0 run. He started things off with an 18-3 technical fall in match one. In match two, Davenport earned a 4-2 decision. After getting a forfeit win, Davenport advanced to the championship match, where he ended things emphatically by pinning his opponent in the first period. Davenport was 3-2 going into Sunday, and walking away with a 4-0 sweep is a huge step for him and for the team. Davenport wasn’t the only freshman wrestler to win his weight class, as Ridge Lovett kick started his season with a 3-0 sweep at 133 pounds as well.

The second honorable mention is Hana Musser of the rifle team. Over the weekend, rifle wrapped up their fall season with a two-day triangular in Fort Worth, Texas against TCU and conference opponent Memphis. This was Musser’s second competition of the season, and she didn’t disappoint. Musser finished Saturday with a 574 on smallbore and a 580 in rifle, similar numbers to her first competition. On Sunday, Musser fired a 573 in smallbore, but she hit a 591 in air rifle which was the second-best score overall on Sunday.