Women's basketball

After Wednesday’s win against Duke, the Nebraska women’s basketball team has continued its winning streak and remains undefeated with an overall record of 7-0. Hoping to continue this streak, the Huskers are heading to Tuscaloosa to compete against SEC opponent Alabama.

Senior forward Hailie Sample said while the Huskers played well defensively in its game against Duke, Nebraska still has some areas to improve before Sunday’s game.

“I think that we did a pretty good job at playing really smart defense,” Sample said. “Something we could improve on is probably our box-off, but I mean for playing the No. 1 offensive-rebounding team in the country and keeping them at half of what they normally get is pretty good. We could still improve in that area, though.”

Some key highlights from Wednesday’s game included Sample’s 16 points and three rebounds, as well as senior forward Emily Cady’s third double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds.

While Wednesday’s game was a successful one for the Huskers, Cady said the team could improve on its offensive game.

“We need to be a little more careful with the ball, and we need to be able to work the ball around better,” Cady said.

So far, the Huskers have competed against Alabama twice and lead the all-time series 2-0. Some of Alabama’s key players include lead-scorer Ashley Williams, who averages 18.2 points and 6.8 rebounds per game. Other returning starters from Alabama are forward Nikki Hegstetter and guard Karyla Middlebrook. After Sunday’s game, Alabama will have completed its eighth game in 17 days.

Cady said the team followed through on its plays against Duke and will use that as motivation for their team strategy going into Sunday’s game.

“We followed our game plan,” Cady said. “We practiced some set plays in practice, and I feel like when they ran those sets in the game we covered them pretty well. (For Sunday’s strategy) we have to just come together as a team. We need to be focused and rebound well.”

Tip-off for Sunday’s game will be at 2 p.m. in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.