Sports Sig

Incoming Nebraska volleyball freshmen Madi Kubik and Kenzie Knuckles were named Gatorade Players of the Year in their respective states on Tuesday.

Kubik was named the Iowa Gatorade Player of the Year for a second consecutive season. The senior outside hitter from West Des Moines, Iowa averaged 5.16 kills per set with a .382 hitting percentage as she led Valley High School to the state semifinals and a 41-4 overall record.

Kubik also won a gold medal on the U.S. Junior National Team at the 2018 NORCECA Women’s U-20 Continental Championship.

She has already accumulated other awards as well, being named an Under Armour First-Team All-American in 2018 and Iowa Class 5A Player of the Year in both 2017 and 2018.

Knuckles, a libero, was named the Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year after leading Yorktown High School to a 34-0 record and the 4A State Championship as a senior in 2018. On top of that, Yorktown only lost one set all year. This was Knuckles’ second state championship at Yorktown, as they also won in 2016.

Knuckles averaged 4.2 kills per set and 3.9 digs per set. She was also a 2018 Under Armour First-Team All-American, and was named the MaxPreps National Volleyball Player of the Year.

Kubik and Knuckles both signed their letters of intent on Nov. 14.