Darby Thomas

Nebraska’s Darby Thomas (6) competes in the 60 meter sprint during the Huskers’ meet at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Saturday, Jan. 18, 2020, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The month of January has ended and many big performances were given by Nebraska freshman athletes entering the second month of the year. This week’s winner is women’s track and field sprinter and jumper Darby Thomas.

Over the weekend, the track and field team hosted the Adidas Classic, where the Huskers competed against Illinois State, South Dakota and Missouri-Kansas City. Thomas competed in two events, the 60-meter dash and the long jump, and won both events.  

In the long jump, Thomas claimed the title with a jump of 19 feet and 5 1/4 inches, which was almost a foot further than any of the opposing teams’ jumps. This jump was also her personal best indoors. Following her performance in the long jump, Thomas then set another indoor personal best in the preliminary race of the 60-meter dash, earning her the number one seed with a time of 7.53 seconds. In the finals, Thomas won the race with a time of 7.60 seconds. Thomas was one of five Husker freshmen to win an event at the meet, and one of two to win multiple events. These were Thomas’ first titles of the season.

The first honorable mention is fellow track and field runner Brent Wetovick. Throughout the first three weeks of the indoor track and field season, Wetovick has competed in each meet and has yet to lose an event he competes in. In the Adidas Classic, Wetovick added wins number four and five as he claimed another 800-meter title and his first 4x400-meter relay title. 

In the 800-meter, Wetovick didn’t have to worry too much about any opposing runners as both he and senior Jordan De Spong had a comfortable lead going into the final lap. Wetovick was behind De Spong, but saved his energy for the end as he flew past De Spong on the home stretch to win his second 800-meter title in the last three weeks. Wetovick then closed out the meet anchoring the 4x400-meter relay, where he helped the team win the title by five seconds. His split in the relay was 49.003, the second-fastest on the team for the meet. 

The second honorable mention is women’s tennis player Kristina Novak. On Saturday, the women’s tennis team competed at home against Air Force and Creighton, and Novak competed in both. Against Air Force, Novak played the number two match where she won the match in two sets. She then fell with senior Claire Reifeis in doubles, but bounced back in the number one singles spot against Creighton. Novak once again took the match in two sets, even winning the first game 6-0. After winning the singles match, she teamed up with fellow freshman Chloe Kuckelman in the number one doubles match against the Bluejays. They fell behind 5-6, but the match went unfinished. So far this spring season, Novak is 3-0 in singles and 1-1 in doubles. Across the whole season, she is 7-4 in singles and 3-3 in doubles.