DN Freshman Athlete of the Week

The first full week of February had a quiet start as there were no competitions until Thursday, Feb. 6. However, once Thursday hit, a number of Husker freshmen continued to show their growth and dominance in their respective sports. This week’s DN Freshman Athlete of the Week is track and field runner Brent Wetovick. 

On Friday, Feb. 7, and Sunday, Feb. 9, the Nebraska track and field team hosted the Frank Sevigne Invitational where over 35 teams came to compete. For Wetovick, it was another week of dominance as he snatched his sixth and seventh titles of the season in the 600-meter run and the 4x400-meter relay. In the 600-meter run, Wetovick was trailing the lead runner for most of the race. As they entered the final lap, Wetovick passed the lead runner on the back stretch and then held the lead all the way across the finish line. Wetovick ran a personal best time of 1:18.18, which is also the eighth-fastest time in school history. 

In the 4x400-meter relay, Wetovick ran the third leg of the race and received the baton with two other runners neck and neck with him. Wetovick was able to hand the baton off to sophomore Tony Nou with Nebraska in first place. Wetovick’s split was 48.88 seconds, which is also a personal best. Throughout the first four weeks of the indoor track and field season, Wetovick has yet to lose a race as a Husker, going 7-0 on the season. 

The first honorable mention is 133-pound wrestler Ridge Lovett. Over the weekend, the Nebraska wrestling team took a trip to Indiana to compete against conference foes Indiana and Purdue. In both meets, the Huskers dominated as they defeated Purdue 31-9 and Indiana 35-6. Lovett wrestled in both meets and won both his matches. Against Purdue, Lovett wrestled in the second match of the night following a tough loss by redshirt freshman Alex Thomsen. With the team score being 3-0 in favor of Purdue, Lovett quickly flipped the dual back in Nebraska’s favor as he pinned his opponent 57 seconds into the second period. This was Lovett’s first career pin in a dual. Then, against Indiana, Lovett was the last match of the meet, but he defeated his opponent in a 4-2 decision. 

The second honorable mention is rifle’s Hana Musser. On Saturday, the rifle team competed in its last conference matchup of the regular season against Akron, a 4,687-4,677 win over the Zips. Musser led the charge for the team as she won the individual title with a combined score of 1,179 and was the best Husker in both smallbore and air rifle. In smallbore, Musser finished first overall with a score of 588. In air rifle, Musser scored a 591, which placed her third overall in the matchup, but was the best Husker in the event.