Lindsey Moore 2 (copy)

The 2009-10 Nebraska women’s basketball team was welcomed back on Nov. 17 to celebrate the No. 4 ranked team in the nation that won the Big 12, went deep in the NCAA Tournament and established itself as one of Nebraska women’s basketball’s greatest teams ever.

The team finished the year at 32-2 and 16-0 in the Big 12 to win the conference and claim Nebraska’s longest ever win streak for women’s basketball at 30 straight wins. The Huskers defeated Northern Iowa 83-44 and UCLA 83-70 in the NCAA Tournament before falling to Kentucky by a final score of 76-67. The team was led by head coach Connie Yori, who took home Naismith College Coach of the Year, Big 12 Coach of the Year, WBCA National Coach of the Year and Kay Yow National Coach of the Year honors. 

The team also featured two WNBA picks selected in the 2010 WNBA Draft. Big 12 Player of the Year Kelsey Griffin was selected third overall by the Minnesota Lynx, before being traded to Connecticut Sun. Teammate Cory Montgomery, a first team All-Big 12 selection was taken in the third round by the New York Liberty. Griffin was coming off a season in which she averaged 20.1 points and 10.4 rebounds per game, meanwhile Montgomery averaged 12.7 points and 5 rebounds per game. 

Lindsey Moore was also drafted into the WNBA after finishing her career at Nebraska, where she spent two years with the Lynx as a role player averaging only 6.6 minutes per game. She has since played for the West Coast Waves in Australia and is now an assistant coach for the Pacific women’s basketball team in the WCC.

Griffin spent five years with the Sun averaging 4.9 points and 4.2 rebounds before starring in Australia with the Bendigo Spirit. She led the Spirit to WNBL titles in 2013, 2014 and 2019. Griffin also won MVP honors in 2019 as the league’s top player. Following the season, Griffin was added to the Minnesota Lynx camp roster and will have an opportunity to return to the WNBA this season.

In total, the 2009-10 team was led by starters Griffin, Montgomery, Yvonne Turner (11.8 points per game, 62 steals), Moore (5.8 points per game, 4.4 assists per game), and Dominique Kelley (12.0 points per game, 3.9 rebounds per game). The team finished the regular season a perfect 29-0 and remained undefeated after beating Kansas State 63-46 in the first game of the Big 12 Tournament before falling to Texas A&M 80-70 to suffer their first loss. 

They were able to win two games over Northern Iowa and UCLA before falling to Kentucky to end their season at 32-2 in the Sweet 16. The Huskers celebrated their 10-year anniversary of a dominant Husker team that many will remember for some time.