s-BreakingStraub

Bowling Coach, Bill Straub, coaches the Women's Bowling Team at the East Campus Union on Wednesday, Nov. 7, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska. After nearly four decades, Straub has decided as of Wednesday to retire from head coach of the bowling team.

Nebraska bowling head coach Bill Straub announced his retirement on Wednesday after 36 years leading the Husker program.

Straub was the only coach in Nebraska’s bowling program since it became a varsity sport in 1997. Before bowling became a varsity sport, Straub coached both men’s and women’s club teams at Nebraska since 1983.

In total, Straub won 10 women’s bowling national championships and two men’s bowling national championships. Three women’s and both men’s national titles were before bowling became a varsity sport.

The men’s program did not make the transition to varsity but the women’s bowling team grew stronger under Straub. Since the 1997-98 season, the Huskers won seven national titles under Straub including the first ever NCAA title in 2004.

Straub’s impressive resume is also seen with his players as he coached seven different National Tenpins Coaches Association (NCTA) players of the year. Overall, Straub coached 89 All-Americans and 106 scholastic All-Americans since 1983.