Nebraska Basketball vs. Doane Photo No.1

Nebraska's Shamiel Stevenson raises his hands as he walks to the court before the Huskers' exhibition match against Doane University inside of Pinnacle Bank Arena on Wednesday, Oct. 30, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Junior guard/forward Shamiel Stevenson, who transferred to Nebraska from Nevada, will be ineligible to play in the 2019-20 season for the Huskers after his waiver was denied by the NCAA. The Toronto native will join junior forward Derrick Walker and fellow Canadian sophomore guard Dalano Banton in sitting out the 2019-20 season.

Nebraska had initially sent in a waiver request which was denied. Then, the next denial was a reconsideration which Nebraska had filed earlier. Finally, Stevenson participated in a phone appeal hearing with UNL staffers, but this appeal was also denied.

Although this is a setback for Shamiel [Stevenson], we feel confident we can continue to provide him an opportunity to have a successful year developing alongside Derrick Walker and Dalano Banton,” head coach Fred Hoiberg said. “We had a similar situation in Ames with four sit-out transfers in my first season at ISU and every one of them made major contributions the following season in helping us start our run of NCAA tournament appearances.”

When Stevenson plays again, he will have two years of eligibility remaining for the Huskers. He was one of the players who would add shooting depth to the squad.

With nine guards on the roster Hoiberg will be able to manage without the presence of Stevenson. 

“I am disappointed and hurting for Shamiel,” Hoiberg said. “We believed we presented a strong case on his behalf. We appreciate all the hard work that Jo Potuto and our Compliance staff put into advocating for Shamiel.”