s-foeckebrief

Mikaela Foecke (2) hits against Wake Forest's Madeline Holt (4) at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Aug. 31, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska senior outside hitter Mikaela Foecke was named Co-Big Ten Player of the Week on Monday. This is the first time Foecke has been named the conference’s player of the week this season and the second time in her career. Illinois’ Megan Cooney was also named Co-Big Ten Player of the Week.

Foecke earned the honor after posting a career-high number of kills in Omaha on Thursday against then-No.14 Creighton. In the match, the Huskers’ co-captain laid down 25 kills, beating her previous match high of 22 against Penn State in 2015. Foecke also contributed four aces, five blocks and 13 digs in the match that Nebraska won in five sets after dropping the first two.

The All-American followed her record-setting performance with nine kills, one ace, two blocks and seven digs against Iowa State in Lincoln on Sunday. The Huskers swept the Cyclones to improve their record to 6-1 for the season.

This week, Foecke and the Husker volleyball team face Central Michigan at noon and New Mexico at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 14, and Missouri State at 7 p.m. on Saturday, Sept. 15, as part of the Husker Invite. All matches will be played at the Bob Devaney Sports Center and will be aired on BTN Plus.