Frost ends up-and-down career on top

The Nebraska Huskers have hired Scott Frost as their new head football coach Nebraska Director of Athletics Bill Moos announced Saturday, Dec. 2. Frost will be officially introduced as Nebraska’s head coach during a press conference on Sunday, Dec. 3, at noon.

According to the press release sent to media members, Frost agreed to a seven-year, $35 million contract with Nebraska.

Frost comes in with two seasons of head coaching experience at the University of Central Florida. At UCF, Frost amassed a record of 18-7, including an undefeated regular season. In 2015, the season before Frost took over, UCF finished with a record of 0-12. Just two years later, Frost led the Knights to an 11-0 record in the regular season, and a win in the AAC championship game.

In addition to head coaching, Frost spent time at Oregon as wide receivers coach from 2009-13 before being promoted to offensive coordinator from 2013-15. He also spent time at Northern Iowa as linebackers coach and defensive coordinator in 2007 and 2008.

In a press release, Moos said he hired Frost because “he is a rising star in the profession and a natural fit to lead the Nebraska program.”

“I am thrilled that [Frost] is returning to his alma mater to lead the Husker football program,” Moos said. “I truly believe that we have hired the premier young coach in the country and that exciting times lie ahead.”

In college, Frost played quarterback at Stanford from 1993-94 and Nebraska from 1995-97. He was the starting quarterback in 1996 and on the Huskers last national championship team in 1997. Frost finished his Nebraska career with 2,677 pass yards, 1,534 rush yards and 46 total touchdowns.  

Frost replaces former head coach Mike Riley. Riley spent three seasons as the head football coach in Lincoln and finished with a 19-19 record in his three years at the helm. Riley only had one season in which the Huskers had a winning season. Riley’s Huskers made two bowl appearances and were 1-1 in those two games.

The 42-year-old Frost will look to help NU return to dominant form. The Huskers have not won a conference championship in football since 1999 and have not contended for a national title since the early 2000s. Frost said he was excited to return to his alma mater to coach in the press release.

“It is a great honor and privilege to have the opportunity to return to Nebraska and to lead the Husker football program,” Frost said. “I have been fortunate to be at a wonderful school the last two years, but Nebraska is a special place with a storied tradition and a fan base which is second to none. I am truly humbled to be here. The state of Nebraska and the Husker program mean a great deal to me. This is home.”