Nebraska vs. Minnesota Photo No. 6

Maurice Washington scrambles after the ball during the game against Minnesota on Saturday, Oct. 20, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Sophomore running back Maurice Washington has been dismissed from the Nebraska football team, the team announced officially on Friday.

“The Nebraska football program announced today that running back Maurice Washington has been dismissed from the Husker team,” the Athletic Department said in an official statement.

This comes during an ongoing legal battle for Washington in the state of California where Washington allegedly sent pornography in which his underaged girlfriend appeared. The case has yet to move beyond preliminary proceedings, and his next hearing is on Jan. 10. 

Washington was removed from team activities on the first of two bye weeks for the Huskers in October due to a violation of team rules that was deemed unrelated to the court case according to head coach Scott Frost. Frost hesitated to refer to this as an indefinite suspension (Washington was still enrolled in classes) but Washington will now not be returning to the team. 

“There are certain standards that we ask our players to uphold,” Frost said of Washington ahead of Nebraska’s game against Indiana in late October. “When those standards aren’t upheld, it doesn’t matter who it is, they’re not going to be a part of our plans that week or potentially longer.”

Washington’s status was unknown coming into Friday, with some expecting him to continue his career for Nebraska, but that will no longer be the case. Washington was Nebraska’s No. 4 rusher on the year with 298 yards, despite having the fewest attempts of any player above 200 total yards.

Washington is expected to enter the NCAA transfer portal soon, according to the Athletic Department.