s-SBWeekendRecap

Nebraska softball started off its season against New Mexico State on Thursday night, but didn’t get the result it wanted in an 11-6 loss.

Junior right-handed pitcher Olivia Ferrell hit the Huskers’ first home run of the season in the game, and senior outfielder Tristen Edwards also homered. Edwards’ home run was her 32nd in her career, which tied her for seventh on Nebraska's career home run list. 

Sophomore catcher Anni Raley and junior infielder Cam Ybarra both earned their first career starts and hits in the effort. Raley went 2-for-3 with a double and a triple, while Ybarra went 1-for-3. 

Sophomore infielder Payton Huscroft also made her first start as a Husker at first base after making one start as the designated player last season.

The Huskers won their next three games, starting with a 10-7 win over UTEP to improve to 1-1 on the season.

The Huskers took the lead early on in this game and didn’t back down, with a four-run first inning. Edwards and sophomore Peyton Glatter each hit a home run in the inning. 

Edwards’ home run gave her sole possession of seventh on Nebraska’s career home run list. She also had a double in the game, which moved her into 10th place on Nebraska's extra-base hits list with 67.

Sophomore Lindsey Walljasper came in for the seventh inning, retiring each of the first three batters to finish off the game for the Huskers. 

Sophomore utility Courtney Wallace hit a triple in the game, the fifth of her career. Wallace needs three more triples to move into the top 10 on Nebraska's career triples list.

The Huskers were able to keep the winning streak going with an 8-1 win against Bradley. This moved head coach Rhonda Revelle within one win of 1,000 career victories.. 

Bradley got on the board first, capitalizing on three singles to get a run in, but that was the only run the Huskers allowed. 

After taking the lead 2-1 in the fourth, back-to-back home runs from Edwards and Glatter in the sixth got the Huskers’ lead to 8-1.

Edwards hit her third home run of the season, having hit one in each of the first three games.  Walljasper pitched a complete seven-inning game, giving up just three hits and sophomore infielder Payton Huscroft hit her first career home run in the win against Bradley.

Revelle then picked up her 1,000th career win, beating UTEP 16-3 in five innings.

Both teams scored one run in the first inning, but Nebraska scored 15 runs over the third, fourth and fifth innings to put the game away.

In the win, junior catcher Ally Riley hit her first home run of the season, also going 3-for-3 with one run and a career-best three RBIs. Senior infielder Samantha Owen and Walljasper both tied their career-high in RBIs with four each. 

The Huskers faced off against Arkansas to finish off the tournament and dropped to 3-2 on the season with a 15-4 loss to the Razorbacks.

Arkansas came out to an early 5-0 lead after the first inning and did not show any signs of stopping. The Huskers were able to mount a short comeback effort in the third inning, holding Arkansas scoreless in the frame and scoring three of their four runs.

Edwards hit a home run in the fifth inning to bring the team a little closer, but Arkansas’ early offense was just too much for the Huskers to overcome. 

Glatter finished the weekend with at least one hit in each of the first five games. She went 8-for-19, with six runs, three homers and eight RBIs over the whole tournament. 

Edwards also had one hit in each game this weekend, finishing 7-for-16 with nine runs, two doubles, four homers and five RBIs.

The Huskers’ next game will be next weekend against Georgia Tech on Feb. 14 in Atlanta, as part of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.