Danny Langsdorf

Offensive coordinator Danny Langsdorf after the game against Oregon on Sept. 17, 2016 at Memorial Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Practice Notes, Sept. 25:

Nebraska Offensive Coordinator Danny Langsdorf spoke to the media Monday after practice.

He discussed the performance of the running backs against Rutgers and if they will stick with a multiple-back system once Tre Bryant is healthy again.

“I think you saw some good runs from Devine [Ozigbo], but you saw some really good production from Mikale [Wilbon} too. We were able to get Jaylin [Bradley] a couple carries and that was good,” Langsdorf said. “What we saw was encouraging. We have good depth in that group.”

Langsdorf expanded on the play of Ozigbo who had a career-high 24 carries for 101 yards against Rutgers.

He runs downhill well. I think that’s where he’s at his best,” Langsdorf said. “If he’s in the backfield dancing around he won’t have the same success, but last week he ran downhill and had some good runs.”

The NU offensive coordinator said the offensive line also played well. They did not give up any sacks to Rutgers and did a better job of protecting quarterback Tanner Lee. Langsdorf praised the performance of freshman right tackle Brenden Jaimes, who made his first career start on Saturday

“Jaimes was good,” Langsdorf said. “I thought for the most part for being a freshman and playing in the Big Ten it was encouraging”

Langsdorf also was pleased with the way  Michael Decker played on Saturday. Decker made his first career start at center against Rutgers.

“I thought Decker was really sharp. He was an excellent communicator,” Langsdorf said.

Langsdorf evaluated the performance of wide receivers Gabe Rahn and Conor Young who saw the field on Saturday in the absence of Stanley Morgan Jr.

“I thought they made a few plays, and then I thought there were a couple that they probably left out there,” Langsdorf said. “For guys that haven’t played much, kind of like the line, it was encouraging to see.”

Langsdorf also spoke about the challenges of facing the stout Illinois defense in Champaign on Friday night.

“They have some really good speed,” Langsdorf said. “They are not gonna give you a tremendous amount of looks, but they are gonna run at you and hit hard. They’re coming off a bye so we gotta expect some wrinkles in there that we probably haven’t seen.”

The Nebraska offense hopes to build on what it did against Rutgers. Langsdorf said it was encouraging to see the running backs and offensive line play the way they did last week, and wants to see them to continue to gain confidence as the season progresses.