point1.20

If it isn’t broke, don’t fix it.

The current one-and-done rule by the NCAA gives pro-ready players the opportunity to pursue a professional career in the NBA after one year of college play.

This gives young talented players the chance of a lifetime to chase down their dreams of being an NBA superstar instead of having to waste two more years playing college basketball. There is no need for a three-year collegiate stay.

I’m not going to sit here and say the one-and-done rule is perfect, because well, frankly, it’s not. Looking back, numerous players did their one year and jumped to the pros and turned out to be total busts.

The decision to go pro must be an educated and well-thought-out choice made by a player and his family.

With this being said, this rule has given current NBA super stars Anthony Davis, Kevin Love and Kevin Durant the chance to get a head start on their already successful careers.

And who knows where they would be if they would have had to stay at college for another two years? By forgoing a few years of college, players such as Davis, Love and Durant have given themselves a few more years in the league to prolong their careers.

The NCAA’s implementation of the one-and-done rule was absolutely necessary.

It was clear. Prep-to-pro was a dead end for many players.

Given players such as Kevin Garnett, Kobe Bryant and LeBron James are clear exceptions, it was simply unfair to push millions of dollars in front of a young man and say, “Take this, or go to college.”

With the current rule in place, players are able to adjust to life alone off the court. In addition, they are given a chance to test their abilities and to see if they truly are ready for the next level.

Also benefiting from the one-and-done rule are the collegiate teams. They are able to recruit some of the most talented high school players instead of seeing them go straight to the NBA.

The rule also gives players a chance to change their minds if they feel they are not ready.

If a player wishes to be undeclared from the draft, and retain his eligibility, he must do so by 11:59 pm April 10. Essentially, the student-athlete is not locked into anything right off the bat.

One of the biggest risks taken by players staying in college is potential injuries. While they are unlikely, a serious injury can happen to anyone at any time. With just one wrong twist of a knee, millions of dollars can fly right out the window.

Just for the sake of argument, lets say the NCAA one-and-done rule applied to college football.

Former South Carolina running back Marcus Lattimore could have been the No. 1 overall pick in the NFL Draft. But in reality, Lattimore had to stay at college for two more years. During his sophomore and junior season Lattimore suffered multiple knee injuries, which eventually led to him being picked 131st overall and a short-lived NFL career.

With the current rule intact, the NBA and NCAA give the player a fair shot at getting an education and an even better shot at taking their talents to the next level.

Personally, I think the only time players should exercise this option is when they are a guaranteed top-five pick.

One-and-done players picked in the top-five average at least 14.4 points per game while one-and-done players picked 11th or higher average only 6.9 points per game.

The bottom line is that if a player has the talent for the next level, he should be able to seize the opportunity and play at a higher, more competitive level.