Sports Sig

Paul Klempa, a long-time assistant coach under former head coach Bill Straub, has been named the head coach of the Huskers bowling program, Athletic Director Bill Moos announced on Tuesday.

"Paul Klempa has been a leader in Nebraska Bowling since before it became a varsity sport. He has helped lay the foundation for the country's most successful program," Moos said in a press release. "Paul was integral in building the program, has proven that he has what it takes to lead the team to success, and has earned the opportunity to take our program to even greater heights in the years to come."

Klempa, a Nebraska alum who was a member of the Husker men’s bowling team in the 1990s, has served as an assistant for the women’s bowling team since bowling became a varsity sport in 1997. During the 2013-14 season, Klempa served as the interim head coach while Straub recovered from a medical issue.

Since Nebraska’s program began in 1997-98, Klempa has helped Nebraska bowlers win 57NTCA All-America awards, including nine NTCA Collegiate Bowlers of the Year. 

Klempa has played a key role in the Husker varsity program since its inception. He’s helped the team earn seven national championships, including five NCAA titles since 2004, and an appearance in every NCAA tournament--the only program in the country to accomplish this feat---including a current streak of 11 top-four national finishes.

Klempa said in a press release that he and his family are blessed and humbled to have the opportunity to lead the Husker bowling program.

“I am determined to do my level best to continue the success that Husker Bowling has achieved under the leadership of the legend, Bill Straub,” he said in a press release. “I am ready to begin a new chapter of Nebraska Bowling."