A Nebraska golfer

A Nebraska golfer moves to the next hole during the Huskers Invitational on Saturday, April 13, 2019, at Firethorn Golf Club in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Senior Tanner Owen and junior Tom Westenberger both finished inside the top 15 as they led the Nebraska men’s golf team to a 10th-place finish at the Maridoe Invitational. The Huskers recorded a team score of 919 and finished one stroke behind the University of Texas at San Antonio and four strokes ahead of the University of Texas at El Paso.

Southern Methodist University cruised to the event title as it posted a team score of 882 and finished 24 strokes ahead of both University of San Francisco and Texas A&M University. 

Owen notched his second consecutive top-15 finish, as he tied for 12th with a score of 225, nine strokes over par. He opened with a five-over 77 but improved in each of the final two rounds. He shot a three-over 75 in the second round and one-over 73 in the last round.

Westenberger turned in a career-best performance as he finished one stroke behind Owen and tied for 14th. He carded two 77s in both the first and third rounds and shot an even-par 72 in the second round. 

Junior Branden Meyer began the tournament with a 10-over 82 but rebounded in the next two rounds, recording a four-over 76 in both the second and third round. Meyer tied for 45th with a score of 234. 

Freshman Will Marshall turned in a solid performance in his collegiate debut, also tying for 45th with a score of 234. Marshall fired a 73 in his first career round and a six-over 78 in the second round. He carded an 11-over 83 in the final round. 

Junior Mark Foelbaek rounded out the Husker lineup with a 66th-place finish. He recorded a 16-over 88 in the first round but bounced back and fired an 8-over 80 in the second round. He finished with a score of 251 after shooting an 83 in the final round. 

The Huskers return to action on Oct. 21, when they tee off at the Royal Oaks Invitational in Dallas to wrap up the fall season.