Kate Smith

Kate Smith putts during Chip-N Club Invitational on Oct. 1, 2018, at Wilderness Ridge Golf Course in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s golf team notched a seventh-place finish at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational in its third tournament of the fall season. The Huskers posted a team score of 627 and finished one stroke ahead of Cal Poly and four shots behind San Francisco.

Brigham Young University won the event, which was shortened to 36 holes because of rain. The Cougars posted a 607 and finished one stroke ahead of UC Davis and two shots ahead of Rutgers. 

Senior Kate Smith led the Huskers at the tournament as she recorded a 148 and finished tied for second. Smith opened with a 5-over 77, but shot a 1-under 71 in a final round that included an eagle on the 340-yard, par-4 third hole. 

The event marked Smith’s second top-10 finish in three tournaments this fall, and her 15th career top-10 finish. 

Sophomore Megan Whittaker tallied her first career top-20 finish as she posted a 154 and finished tied for 16th. Whittaker shot a 7-over 79 in the first round and a 3-over 75 in a second round that featured three birdies. 

Freshman Leah Herzog finished five strokes behind Whittaker, as she recorded a 159 and finished tied for 36th. She fired a 79 in the first round and an 8-over 80 in the second round. Junior Hannah Thiele added a 167 and finished tied for 47th. Thiele opened with a 10-over 82 and ended with a 13-over 85 in her final round. 

Senior Jessica Haraden rounded out the Husker lineup with a score of 169. Haraden carded an 85 in the first round and an 84 in the second round en route to a 55th-place finish. 

The Huskers return to action on Nov. 1, when they tee off at Battle at the Beach in San Jose del Cabo, Mexico, to end the fall season.