Women's Golf Inviational

Women's golf team member Kate Smith putts during practice at Firethorn Golf Club on Thursday, Sept. 13, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s golf team began its fall season with an 11th-place finish out of 15 teams at the Branch Law Firm/Dick McGuire Invitational in Albuquerque, New Mexico. The Huskers carded a team score of 892, 28 strokes over par and five shots behind 10th-place UC Davis. 

Two other Big Ten teams competed in the event, with Indiana finishing seventh and Iowa finishing 13th. Kent State won the tournament with a team score of 848, seven strokes better than second-place Pepperdine and 14 shots better than Iowa State and Ole Miss, which tied for third. 

Senior Kate Smith led the way for the Huskers in the tournament, as she recorded a 54-hole score of 213, three strokes under par. Smith opened the event with a one-under 71 before firing an even 72 in the second round.

In the final round, Smith shook off two early bogeys with birdies on four of her final 10 holes. She shot a two-under 70 in the final round, posting her best score of the event and finishing in a tie for eighth. 

Sophomore Megan Whittaker also had a solid performance for the Huskers, as she shot a nine-over 225 and finished tied for 45th. Whittaker fired a two-over 74 in the opening round and a four-over 76 in the second round. 

She birdied twice in the final round en route to a three-over 75. 

Senior Haley Thiele finished one stroke behind Whittaker, as she tied for 51st place with a score of 226, 10 strokes over par. Thiele opened the tournament with a five-over 77 but improved in each round, as she carded a 75 in the second round and a 74 in a final round that featured two birdies.

True freshman Leah Herzog shot a 228 in her first collegiate tournament, finishing tied for 63rd place. Herzong fired an opening-round 77 and a second-round 76 before using three birdies to card a 75 in the final round. 

Sophomore Vanessa Bouvet rounded out the Husker lineup with a 54-hole score of 240. Bouvet remained consistent in each round, as she recorded an eight-over 80 in all three rounds. 

The Huskers have a week off before teeing off at the Golfweek Conference Challenge on Sept. 23. The event will be held at the Red Sky Golf Club in Vail, Colorado.