Jessica Haraden womens golf

Nebraska's Jessica Haraden practices at Firethorn Golf Club on Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s golf team finished in 10th place at its second tournament of the fall season, posting a team score of 891 at the Golfweek Conference Challenge. The Huskers finished six strokes behind ninth-place North Carolina State and two shots ahead of 11th-place Campbell. Ole Miss won the event with a team score of 849, 15 strokes under par and eight shots ahead of second-place Pepperdine. 

Seniors Jessica Haraden and Kate Smith led the way for the Huskers, as they both shot a four-over 220 to finish tied for 29th. The finish was a career-best for Haraden. 

She opened with a three-over 75 in the first round, highlighted by an eagle on the par-4 12th hole. She recorded a second-round 74 and fired a career-best one-under 71 in the final round. 

However, Haraden competed as an individual outside the Husker lineup, so her performance did not count toward the team score. 

Smith shot an eagle on the par-5 18th hole during the first round en route to an opening-round score of 70, two strokes under par. She shot a six-over 78 in the second round and an even-par 72 in a final round that featured five birdies. 

Sophomore Megan Whittaker finished in 33rd place, one stroke behind Haraden and Smith. Whittaker birdied three holes in the opening round before finishing with an even 72. She carded a two-over 74 in the second round and a three-over 75 in the final round. 

Freshman Leah Herzog finished tied for 57th with a 227. In the opening round, Herzog used an eagle, four consecutive birdies and five birdies total to post a six-under 66, a true freshman program record. Herzog recorded a five-over 77 in the second round and a 12-over 84 in the final round. 

Junior Noor Ahmed finished four shots behind Herzog and finished tied for 71st. Ahmed turned in three consistent performances as she scored a 77 in the first round, a 76 in the second round and a 78 in the final round.

Senior Haley Thiele rounded out the Husker lineup with a 241, finishing in 91st place. Thiele opened with a 12-over 84 but improved in every round, posting a second-round 80 and a final-round 76 that featured four birdies. 

The Huskers return to action Oct. 8-9 when they tee off at the Edean Ihlanfeldt Invitational in Sammamish, Washington.