Sports Sig

The Nebraska women’s basketball team picked up three commitments for its 2020 class, head coach Amy Williams announced on Wednesday, as Ruby Porter, Whitney Brown and Annika Stewart each picked the Huskers. 

Porter, a guard from Adelaide, Australia, chose Nebraska over LSU. In 2018, she played on Australia’s under-18 3x3 national team and competed at the Youth Olympics in Argentina. That same year, she was also a member of the under-17 national team that competed at the World Championships in Belarus. 

Porter also won the Asia Cup this past summer and averaged 16.2 points, 5.6 rebounds and 3.6 steals per game during the 2018 under-18 National Championships of the Australia Premier League as she helped lead her team to a second-place finish.

Stewart originally committed to the Huskers on July 31. The forward from Minneapolis also had offers from Minnesota and Iowa. 

She averaged 15.2 points and 7.1 rebounds per game as a freshman at Bishop Ryan High School in North Dakota, where she earned all-region and all-conference honors selections. After moving to Minneapolis, she averaged 10 points and six rebounds per game for Wayzata High School as a sophomore and earned all-conference honors. 

Last season, Stewart averaged 12.2 points and seven rebounds per game and earned all-conference and all-region honors. Entering her senior campaign, she has 1,095 career points, 600 total rebounds and 106 blocks. 

Stewart also played for the same summer club basketball program as current Huskers Sam Haiby and Kayla Mershon. 

Brown, a guard from Grand Island, Nebraska, will join the program as a preferred walk-on. She also had interest from Eastern Illinois, Northwest Missouri State, Fort Hays State and Nebraska-Kearney.

She averaged 16.9 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.7 assists and 2.9 steals per game as a junior at Grand Island Northwest High School last season. In the Class B state championship game against Crete, Brown scored 23 points. In three wins at the state tournament, she averaged 21 points per game. 

The Omaha World-Herald named Brown to its All-Nebraska First Team last year, while the Lincoln Journal Star named her to its Super-State Second Team. She also earned first-team Class B All-State selections from both newspapers.