Kate Cain

Kate Cain (31) shoots the ball against Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Saturday, Dec. 2, 2017, at Pinnacle Bank Arena in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska women’s basketball heads to Des Moines, Iowa, this weekend to face the Drake Bulldogs. This is the Huskers’ second contest of a three-game road stretch, as they defeated the Kansas Jayhawks on Wednesday, Dec. 6.

NU currently holds a 6-3 record this season. With big wins over the likes of Arkansas and Kansas, the Huskers made a case for themselves to change their recent fate, and return to competitiveness. Nebraska has a chance to equal the total amount of seven games won in the 2016-17 season, with a win against Drake.

After losing every away matchup during the 2016-17 season, Nebraska hit its road schedule off to a solid start, winning one of two games played in neutral sites and knocked off the Jayhawks in its first road contest of the season.

The Bulldogs are coming off of a victory against Iowa Wesleyan. Drake dominated the Tigers by a score of 102-25, holding its opponents to nine points or less in every quarter. The Bulldogs smothered Iowa Wesleyan, forcing it to shoot 22.7 percent, while Drake shot 55.1 percent and 52 percent from the 3-point range.

Drake has been impressive offensively this season, averaging 85.2 points per game, with its lowest scoring performance coming in a 75-61 loss to Wyoming on Nov. 21. Sophomore forward Sara Rhine leads the team, averaging 23.9 points per game.

While things have been going well for the Bulldogs offensively, they are also giving up 75.2 points per game and have a 5-4 record, despite having the No. 14-ranked offense in the NCAA.

The Bulldogs suffered a quadruple overtime loss to Creighton on Dec. 3. The offense was clicking, but the Bulldogs allowed four of the Bluejays’ scorers to record over 15 points, and suffered their fourth loss of the season.

Their outlier 102-25 win over Iowa Wesleyan also helps bring Drake’s opponent points per game drop significantly.

On the other hand, the Huskers only averaged 67 per game, but only allowed 60.3 points per game from their opponents.

With the possibility of leading scorer freshman forward Taylor Kissinger out of the lineup for a third consecutive game, it is up to the likes of sophomore guard Hannah Whitish to pick up the slack.

Whitish is the only member of Nebraska’s team to start every game, and she filled in for Kissinger against the Jayhawks, dropping a career-high 29 points on Wednesday night.

NU will also rely on freshman center Kate Cain to supply the team with strong defense, as she has averaged 3.3 blocks per game, a team high, and already has 30 blocks on the season.

The Huskers take on Drake in Des Moines, Iowa, on Saturday, Dec. 9. Tipoff is scheduled for 2 p.m. and the game can be seen on ESPN3.