Nebraska Volleyball Team Celebration

Nebraska's Madi Kubik, left, celebrates with her team after winning a point against the Iowa Hawkeyes at the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Saturday, Nov. 16, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

With Thanksgiving just a few days away, it was a quiet week for freshmen with only nine competitions where freshmen took action. For the second week in a row, The Daily Nebraskan Freshman Athlete of the Week goes to Nebraska volleyball outside hitter Madi Kubik.

Kubik finished her week with 25 kills, 32 digs and an assist. The team competed against No. 7 Minnesota and No. 5 Wisconsin over the weekend. In the five-set win over Minnesota, Kubik led the team with 20 kills and 17 digs. Seven of those kills came in the final set for Kubik, including the match point that gave the Huskers their 15th conference win of the season. The Huskers went into the fifth set with little momentum after getting dominated in the fourth set 25-11, but Kubik’s seven kills helped Nebraska finish off Minnesota in the fifth.

Kubik has continued to add to her year, as she nears the 300-kill mark with two matches left in the regular season. Kubik’s performance has also been a key factor for the team, as she has the second-most kills behind junior Lexi Sun. The team’s last two matches will both be at home Friday, Nov. 29, against Maryland and Saturday, Nov. 30, against Ohio State.

The first honorable mention is 157-pound wrestler Bubba Wilson. Wilson competed in the UNK Younes Hospitality Open in Kearney, Nebraska, on Saturday, where he snatched the 157-pound title after winning all four matches. Wilson was one of two Huskers to win his weight class — the other being sophomore Christian Miller at 141 pounds. After getting a first-round bye, Wilson came out and dominated in his first match with a 15-3 major decision. He would then go on to grab a win by decision 10-3 before escaping with a 7-6 decision in the semifinal. Wilson snatched the title in the championship match by pinning his opponent in the third period. 

Wilson is one of three freshmen on the year who have already made a name for themselves in wrestling. The other two freshmen were last week’s first honorable mention Kevon Davenport and Ridge Lovett. The three combine for a record of 21-5 one month into the season. The team’s next competition will be Dec. 6-8 at the Cliff Keen Invitational in Las Vegas, Nevada. 

The second honorable mention is football quarterback Luke McCaffrey. In Nebraska’s 54-7 win over Maryland, McCaffrey was given a chance to show his dual-threat potential, as he threw for 32 yards, rushed for 83 yards and a touchdown and even had 12 receiving yards. McCaffrey has played in three games on the season, with his biggest game being the 38-31 loss to Indiana after sophomore quarterback Noah Vedral went down with an injury. He threw for 71 yards and a touchdown and rushed for 76 yards in that game. Although McCaffrey has been on the bench for most of the season, he has yet to disappoint anyone when his number is called. Nebraska football has one more regular-season game, which will be Friday at home against Iowa. If the Huskers win, they clinch bowl eligibility.