Madi Unzicker

Madi Unzicker (7) prepares to catch the ball in a game against Northwestern on Sunday, April 7, 2019, at Bowlin Stadium in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska softball will look to end its four-game losing streak when it takes on Purdue in a three-game series from April 12-14 in West Lafayette, Indiana.

The Huskers are 13-23 overall this year, just 2-7 in conference play and are in 12th place in the Big Ten standings. Six of the conference losses came to Michigan and Northwestern, which are both undefeated against Big Ten opponents this year. In its other Big Ten series this season, Nebraska won two out of three games over Illinois.

Purdue is in the middle of the pack in the conference, sitting in sixth place with a 28-15 overall mark and 5-6 Big Ten record. In their most recent outing, the Boilermakers split a doubleheader with Indiana.

Senior infielder Jenny Behan has been dominant in the batter’s box for the Boilermakers. She is hitting a team-best .373 and has a slugging percentage of .724. Behan has  more home runs (team-high 11) than strikeouts (10) this year and also leads the team with 50 hits, 39 runs scored and 35 RBIs.

Behan is just one of five players in the Boilermakers lineup who has a batting average of at least .315 this season. In contrast, Nebraska has two players hitting above .300. Junior infielder Tristen Edwards is hitting a team-leading .330 and senior outfielder Alyvia Simmons has a batting average of .301.

The Boilermakers’ ace in the circle this season is sophomore pitcher Sydney Bates. She has a team-leading ERA of 2.49 and an 11-6 record. She has struck out 94 batters for Purdue and has thrown five complete games this season.

Fellow pitcher senior Kaitlynn Moody has an ERA of 2.86 and allows opponents to hit an average of .231 against her.  

Bates and Moody could cause some problems for a Husker batting order that scored just three runs and was shut out twice during Nebraska’s four-game skid.

Game one of the series is set for a 5 p.m. first pitch on Friday. Game two will begin at 2 p.m. on Saturday and the final game of the weekend will start at 11 a.m. on Sunday. All games will air on BTN Plus.