Dakota Chan takes Gonzaga soccer at home

Nebraska's Dakota Chan clears the ball during the game between against Gonzaga at the Barbara Hibner Soccer Stadium on Sunday, Sept. 15, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

Nebraska soccer struggled in its non-conference games, only winning one of the seven played. The Huskers began their conference play on Friday, Sept. 20, losing to Purdue. 

However, the Huskers (2-5-2, 1-1-0 Big Ten) bounced back, beating Indiana (4-5-0, 0-2-0) 2-0 in Bloomington, Indiana on Sunday.

Sophomore midfielder Dakota Chan stepped up and had an impressive game. In the first half, Chan stole the ball from Indiana goalkeeper Bethany Kopel to score, giving Nebraska a 1-0 lead.

In the second half, redshirt freshman forward Adriana Maldonado scored her first career goal for the Huskers with an assist from Chan, increasing the lead to 2-0.

The two goals matched a season-high set against Long Beach State earlier in the year.

In the first half, the Huskers had many opportunities to score, outshooting Indiana 7-2. However, Chan’s goal was the only time they found the back of the net. 

In the second half, Indiana did a better job of slowing down the Huskers as they only had three shots compared to Indiana’s nine attempted shots.

The shots came from a variety of Huskers as senior defender Sinclaire Miramontez, junior midfielder Theresa Pujado, freshman defender Mila Gretzky, junior defender Grace Brown, sophomore midfielder Hannah Young and senior midfielder Meg Brandt all took shots throughout the game.

Kopel had no saves throughout the game compared to Nebraska senior keeper Aubrei Corder’s three saves.

This game was Corder’s 25th shutout in her career, which moves her up to second on Nebraska’s career shutout list. 

She already holds the school records for minutes played and games started by a keeper.

The Huskers play next on Thursday, Sept. 26 at 6 p.m. against Northwestern at Barbara Hibner Stadium. Northwestern is sitting at 2-5-1 so far this season and 0-1-0 in the Big Ten.

This game will be streamed on the Big Ten Network.