golf

The Nebraska men’s golf team will host the Git-R-Done Invitational this weekend, marking the first Division I tournament held in Lincoln since the 2005-06 season.

The Git-R-Done Invitational will be held at the 7,025-yard, par-71 Firethorn Golf Club on Saturday, April 13 and will feature two rounds of competition. Six teams will compete, with Arkansas, Creighton, Drake, Omaha and South Dakota State joining the Huskers in the field.

“It’s something we haven’t experienced yet at Nebraska, at least since I’ve been here,” junior Tanner Owen said in a press release. “It’s going to be great to go out and play at the golf course that we’re at on a consistent basis.”

Owen leads the Huskers this season with a 72.76 stroke average. He also earned Big Ten Golfer of the Week honors on April 3 after finishing tied for 19th at The Goodwin, hosted by Stanford.

Owen, seniors Jay Cottam, Jace Guthmiller and Jackson Wendling and redshirt junior Mitch Klooz will compete in the Husker lineup this weekend. Five more Huskers will compete as individuals, with senior Sean Song and sophomore Patrick Clare making their first appearances of the spring.

Klooz said the coaches prepared the Huskers well for anything that may happen this weekend in a press release.

“We’re not going to be phased by the weather or the competition coming up,” he said. “I just can’t wait to get out there and play.”