Golf

Nebraska golfer Tanner Owen answers questions from the media at Firethorn Golf Club on Wednesday, April 10, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska men’s golf team finished tied for fifth in the seven-team field at the Prairie Club Invitational in Valentine, Nebraska. The Huskers recorded a score of 901 to tie with the University of Central Florida, six strokes behind Northern Illinois and 12 strokes ahead of South Alabama. 

Missouri cruised to the event title, finishing 20 shots ahead of second place Sam Houston State. The Tigers posted a team score of 871, 5-under-par. 

Senior Tanner Owen led the Huskers at the Prairie Club Invitational. Owen recorded a career-best third place finish, finishing the tournament 2-under-par with a score of 217. Owen posted a 3-over 76 in the second round, but balanced it out with an opening round 71 and final round 70. 

Junior Branden Meyer also recorded a top-15 finish for the Huskers. Meyer recorded a 72 in the first round, a 77 in the second round and a 75 in the third round as he posted a 224 and finished tied for 11th. 

Junior Mark Foelbaek posted another top-25 finish as he finished tied for 23rd with a 229. Foelbaek opened with a 75 before shooting a 78 in the second round and a 76 in the final round. 

Sophomore Caleb Badura and junior Tom Westenberger rounded out the Husker lineup. Badura finished tied for 37th with a 235, while Westenberger finished two strokes behind Badura for 40th. 

Both Badura and Westenberger recorded a low round of 76 during the tournament. Badura’s 76 came in the first round, while Westenberger shot a second round 76.

The Huskers tee off next at the Marideo Invitational in Carrollton, Texas, from Oct. 6-8.