Allison Morris, Big Red Invitational - March 1, 2019

Nebraska bowling team member Allison Morris prepares to bowl during the Big Red Invitational on Friday, March 1, 2019, at Sun Valley Lanes in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska bowling team opened the second half of its season at the Stormin' Blue & White Vegas Classic in Las Vegas. The Huskers reached the finals before losing to Vanderbilt in seven games and finishing second overall. 

The Huskers won two of four matches on the opening day, beating Valparaiso 1,102-992 and host Mount St. Mary’s 1,034-997. However, the Huskers lost to Tulane 1,019-998 and Monmouth 1,057-997. 

On the second day of competition, the Huskers won four of five individual matches. Their lone loss was a 1,083-1,052 defeat to McKendree University. NU found success in the individual standings, too, as four bowlers finished inside the top 15. 

Senior Allison Morris led the Huskers in Las Vegas as she finished eighth with a 1,080 total pinfall. Morris broke 200 in four of five games, including three games above a 220, and ended with an average of 216. 

Junior Leah Glazer finished eight pins behind Morris and was the second Husker in the top 10 individually. Glazer averaged 214.4 pins a game and broke 200 four times with a high game of 261. 

Senior Raquel Orozco finished 12th with a 1,060 total pinfall and a 212 average. She broke 200 in four of five games and broke 220 twice.

Sophomore Cassidy Ray finished 13th, seven pins behind Orozco. She averaged 210.6 pins a game and broke 200 three times with a best of 275. 

The Huskers opened Sunday’s championship bracket with a win over Tulane in five games. NU won the first two games, lost the third and then won the next two to close the match. 

In the next match, NU dropped the first three games to McKendree before winning the next four to win the match in seven games and advance to the championship match. There, the Huskers won the first three games but ultimately lost the final four games to finish second. 

The Huskers return to the lanes on Jan. 24 for the Columbia 300 Saints Invitational.