morris bowling

Nebraska's Allison Morris bowls during the Big Red Invitational at Sun Valley Lanes on Saturday, March 2, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska bowling team opened its season with a win at the Bearcat Hammer Open, posting a 7-5 record during the event with a total pinfall of 11,867. 

The Huskers opened the tournament with a 2-3 record in five Bakers matches. They opened the day with an 876-851 loss against Lewis University before beating both Upper Iowa University and Kentucky Wesleyan College. NU ended the opening day with losses against St. Francis College-Brooklyn and Maryville University.

On the tournament’s second day, teams bowled five traditional matches. The Huskers won three of five matches on Saturday, beating the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater and Belmont Abbey College but lost to host McKendree University and the University of Central Missouri. 

Seniors Raquel Orozco and Allison Morris led the Huskers during the second day’s individual matches. Orozco notched a high game of 228 in the second individual game and broke 200 three times as she finished 11th individually with a 196.0 average. 

Morris broke 200 once, recording a 288 in the fourth game. She finished just behind Orozco, placing 12th with a 195.8 average. 

Two other Huskers finished inside the top 25, as freshman Amara Smith-Speights finished 17th and junior Leah Glazer finished 21st. Smith-Speights broke a 170 in every game as she finished with a 188.8 average and a high of 209.

Glazer, a transfer from Arkansas State, broke 180 in four games and 200 twice. She recorded a high score of 231 in the fourth game and averaged 187.8 pins per game. 

In Sunday’s best-of-seven Bakers championship bracket, the Huskers opened with a 4-3 win against McKendree and advanced to face Central Missouri in the championship match. 

Central Missouri opened with a 214-187 win, but NU won the next three games to take control of the match. Central Missouri took game five and forced a sixth game, where the Huskers sealed the tournament title with a 214-208 win.