Jack McVeigh

Nebraska basketball player, Jack McVeigh, played for Australia at the 2017 World University Games in Taiwan this summer.

Jack McVeigh is playing at midseason form at the World University Games, an international basketball competition that takes place every other year.

The World University Games is held every other year for university students ages 17-24. This year’s games were held in Taipei, Taiwan.

McVeigh contributed 16 points and four rebounds in an Australian victory over Canada. The great play by McVeigh should be a bright sign for the future as the small forward averaged nearly 15 points per game while playing in the starter role for the Australian team.

After the win against Canada, Australia finished ninth at the World Games. The large contribution of McVeigh played a big role in the strong finish. He scored nearly 10 points per game, averaging nearly 60 percent shooting from the floor and his rebound total was almost three a game.

McVeigh was one of the leading scorers and passers on the team, finishing fourth in scoring and assists, according to huskers.com.

The University Games are held by Universiade and are organized for college athletes to play in from all around the world.

The junior small forward will soon be back practicing and starting to prepare for the Husker basketball season.

McVeigh improved his scoring and shooting percentage from his freshman to sophomore year, and now as a junior has a chance to play a larger role for the Huskers. Nebraska will start its season on Nov. 16 against St. John’s in the Gavitt Tipoff Games in New York City.