Nebraska Wrestling at Nebraska Duals Photo No. 18

Alex Thomsen (red) wrestles University of Nebraska-Kearney's Josh Portillo (blue) during the 191 pound match during the Nebraska Duals event in the Bob Devaney Sports Center on Thursday, Nov. 7, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

On Sunday the No. 2 Nebraska Huskers were back in action for the first time since their 32-3 win over No. 24 Oregon State on Dec. 20. In Sunday’s away match at Wisconsin, Nebraska fell to the No. 8 Badgers 25-18. It was the Huskers’ first dual loss of the season and their first Big Ten matchup of the season. 

In the 157-pound weight class, No. 11 redshirt freshman Peyton Robb scored the first points of the dual for the Huskers and defeated Wisconsin redshirt freshman Drew Scharenbrock by tech fall 19-2, including a total of 11 near-fall points, as well as three takedowns and a reversal. 

In the 174-pound weight class, No. 6 sophomore Mikey Labriola defeated freshman Jared Krattiger by a decision of 9-3, including three takedowns and an escape. 

In the 184-pound weight class, No. 5 junior Taylor Venz defeated freshman Tyler Dow by tech fall 17-1, with 10 of his 17 points coming in a near-perfect first period. 

In the 197-pound weight class, No. 14 junior Eric Schultz defeated Wisconsin’s Taylor Watkins by tech fall 24-8, including 10 takedowns in a complete domination. Schultz’s victory was the Huskers’ fourth and final win of the dual, which is a season-low in dual competition. 

Two All-Americans suffered losses for the Huskers, with the first being No. 6 junior Chad Red Jr.’s loss to senior Tristan Moran of Wisconsin by a decision of 9-4. Meanwhile, in the 165-pound weight class, No. 3 senior Isaiah White was defeated by Wisconsin’s Evan Wick by a decision of 10-6.

The Huskers will look to bounce back from their first dual loss and conference loss of the season when they visit the Iowa Hawkeyes on Jan. 18.