Cassie Deeg

After an 11th-place finish at last week’s Hoosier Fall Invitational, the Nebraska women’s golf team came into Sunday’s Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown looking to finish out the 2013 fall season on a high note.

Along with the Huskers, the 17-team field competing at the par-72 Stallion Mountain Golf Club in Las Vegas includes host UNLV, Nevada, New Mexico, Central Florida, San Diego State, Texas Tech, UC Irvine, Missouri, Long Beach State, Denver, Kansas State, Fresno State, Furman, Idaho and Big Ten conference opponents Minnesota and Wisconsin. All teams entered the tournament ranked in the nation’s top 115 teams according to the GolfStat Rankings.

Nebraska senior Katelyn Wright, who has posted four straight top-25 finishes this season, returned to her home state of Nevada looking to extend that streak. However, after Sunday’s opening round, Wright finished tied for 31st with a 2-over par 74.

Leading the Huskers was sophomore Cassie Deeg. Coming off a 30th place finish at the Hoosier Fall Invite, Deeg posted strong numbers in the first round with a score of 71, leaving her at 1-under par and currently tied for second place.

Finishing out the Nebraska team lineup were freshman Jordan Chael, who also shot 2-over 74 in the opening round to end up tied for 31st with Wright. Senior Steffi Neisen, who has two top-10 finishes this season, shot a 4-over score of 76 and is tied for 52nd place. And sophomore Morgan Smejkal ended the day tied for 89th with a 10-over score of 82.

As a unit, Nebraska concluded the first round of the tournament in sixth place with a team score of 295 using the top four scores, leaving them at 7-over and seven strokes back from the leader, UNLV, heading into Day 2. Texas Tech’s Elin Arvidsson led the pack with a 2-under par score of 70. Competing as the lone individual playing outside of Nebraska’s lineup was sophomore Cassidy Stelzmiller, who shot an 85, putting her in 93rd place.

Going into the second round of the Las Vegas Collegiate Showdown, the Huskers will look to gain ground on first-place UNLV, second-place Minnesota and San Diego State, fourth-place UCF and fifth-place Texas Tech.