s-wbbNorthwesternpreview
Nebraska's Taylor Kissinger (33), goes up for a shot during the game against Kansas in Pinnacle Bank Arena on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2018, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s basketball team will face off against Northwestern on Thursday in a game that could shake up the Big Ten standings.

Nebraska and Northwestern are currently jostling for a position in the Big Ten. Indiana, Nebraska and Northwestern are currently tied for fifth place in the standings with a conference record of 4-3.

The 9-9 Huskers have momentum coming into this game, as they are currently on a two-game win streak and coming off their first top-25 win of the year against Minnesota.

In Sunday’s game against Minnesota, Nebraska freshman guard Sam Haiby led the team in scoring with 16 points on 6-10 shooting. The Huskers ended that game strong with a 15-2 run, scoring the last 12 points.

For a Nebraska team that has undergone many ups and downs throughout the season, this may turn out to be a step in the right direction and propel this team to a strong finish.

Northwestern is on a winning streak of its own, defeating Wisconsin and Indiana in its last two games. The 11-7 Wildcats defeated No. 23 Michigan State earlier this month, as well.

Sophomore guard Lindsey Pulliam is Northwestern’s player to watch for. Pulliam is the Wildcats’ leading scorer, averaging 16.6 points per game, including 19.4 points per game in conference play. Another Wildcat to watch is senior forward Pallas Kunaiyi-Akpanah, who averages a double-double on the season with 11.6 points and 10.8 rebounds per game.

The freshmen on Nebraska will look to keep making a significant impact for the team. Haiby and freshman forward Leigha Brown lead the team in scoring with 10.3 points per game each, all while coming off the bench.

Nebraska’s next top scorer is sophomore forward Taylor Kissinger, who averages 9.3 points per game and as of Jan. 20, is third in Division I in three-point shooting percentage, averaging 49.4 percent from the perimeter.

The Huskers are 9-6 all-time against Northwestern, including 4-2 at home. Last season, Nebraska defeated the Wildcats 69-59 on the road.

Thursday’s game will be hard fought, but Nebraska will look to come out with the win and extend their winning streak to three.

Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. at Pinnacle Bank Arena.