Women's Basketball vs. Rogers State

Nebraska forward Leigha Brown (32) drives to the basket during an exhibition match against Rogers State at Pinnacle Bank Arena on Saturday, Nov. 2, 2019, in Lincoln, Nebraska.

The Nebraska women’s basketball team earned an exhibition win over Rogers State, a Division II school from Claremore, Oklahoma, by a final score of 97-33 on Saturday night.

Nebraska took control right at tip off and didn’t look back, never allowing the Hillcats to take the lead.

The Huskers ended the game shooting 45.7 percent. Nebraska’s defense played well throughout, holding the Hillcats to 20 percent shooting.

Junior Taylor Kissinger wasn’t dressed and was on the bench today, but every other team member saw the court and scored at least twice.

Junior center Kate Cain and sophomores Sam Haiby and Ashtyn Veerbeek led the team with 12 points each. Sophomore forward Leigha Brown also scored in double digits, accounting for 10 points.

Nebraska had 21 total assists, with Brown contributing four and senior guards Nicea Eliely and Kristian Hudson adding three each.

The three freshmen made a good first impression throughout the game. Forward Isabelle Bourne had a team-high three blocks. Guard Trinity Brady finished with eight points and eight total rebounds, while guard Makenzie Helms scored six points in just over nine minutes of playing time.

For Rogers State, sophomore guard Vanessa Gajdosova had a team-high eight points. Sophomore guard Samariah Thompson and junior guard Lilly Garner each contributed eight points.

Rogers State came up with only nine assists on the game. Gajdosova led with three assists, followed by senior Alicia Brown and Garner with two assists each.

Of the 33 points scored by the Hillcats, 21 of them came off three-pointers.

The Huskers rebounded well, collecting 73 total rebounds compared to Roger State’s 27. Senior Grace Mitchell had the team high of 12 rebounds, including 10 offensive boards. Eliely followed with 11 total rebounds.

Nebraska had 11 steals, with Whitish, Haiby, Eliely and Hudson accounting for two steals each.

Rogers State had six steals, two of them coming from junior guard Katrina Christian.

Turnovers are almost always an area of the game that can be cleaned up, as Nebraska had 12, while Rogers State had 19.

Senior guard Hannah Whitish drained a 3-pointer within the last few seconds of the first half, bringing the score to 50-21 at the break.

Throughout the first half, the Huskers shot 40.8 percent. Brown led the team in points in the first half with eight.

The Huskers came out at halftime and increased the lead by going on a 26-0 run to bring the score to 73-21. 

In the second half, Cain stepped up and led the team with 10 points.

Fouls hurt the Hillcats throughout the entire game. They had 23 personal fouls compared to Nebraska’s six personal fouls. 

Rogers State also had four shot clock violations.

Nebraska looks to use this solid win as momentum to carry it into its season opener on Wednesday, Nov. 6 at noon against Alabama A&M at Pinnacle Bank Arena.